Astronomy at Angkor Wat

cchea

http://egyptphoto.ncf.ca/giza-orion2.jpg

http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/teot.jpg

Exploring Geographic and Geometric Relationships Along a Line of Ancient Sites Around the World

By Jim Alison

Geographic Relationships

The Great Pyramid is aligned with Machupicchu, the Nazca lines and Easter Island along a straight line around the center of the Earth, within a margin of error of less than one tenth of one degree of latitude. Other sites of ancient construction that are also within one tenth of one degree of this line include: Perseopolis, the capital city of ancient Persia; Mohenjo Daro, the ancient capital city of the Indus Valley; and the lost city of Petra. The Ancient Sumarian city of Ur and the temples at Angkor Wat are within one degree of latitude of this line. The alignment of these sites is easily observable on a globe of the Earth with a horizon ring. If you line up any two of these sites on the horizon ring, all of the sites will be right on the horizon ring. 3-D world atlas software programs can also draw this line around the Earth. Start on the Equator, at the mouth of the Amazon River, at 49° 17' West Longitude; go to 30° 18' North Latitude, 40° 43' East Longitude, in the Middle East, which is the maximum latitude the line touches; then go to the Equator at 130° 43' East Longitude, near the Northwest tip of New Guinea; then to 30° 18' South Latitude, 139° 17' West Longitude, in the South Pacific; and then back to 49° 17' West Longitude, at the Equator.

Indepth 19 page article: http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/AlisonJ1-p1.htm

I am from Cambodia, in where Angkor wat is located. It looks awesome and looks like the Khmer Kings knew about the relationship between human and the galaxy. You can say it's a Big coincidence. Yes, but it seems no coincidence to me that Angkor correlate to the stars. Angkor wat is a world wonder, a wonderful thing in my country if you have seen and visited it. The Egyptian, Mayan, and Khmer (Cambodian) all built magnificent temples all relating to the constellation. According to the link, they talked about the precesession of the equinox, when the sun align with the center of the galaxy that happens once every 26,000 years. the ancient civilization knew about this upcoming period so they build temples. like the mayan, khmer kings knew about this event as well. when is the 26,000 years? according to the link its December 21, 2012. it seems to be no coincidence the Mayan calender stop at 2012. Interesting though it don't quite understand it well.

Anyways, thanks for the link, PerpetualYnquisitive :)

Why would a Canbodian society make monuments in the pattern of a European constellation? I'm sure they had their own, different constellations.

Additionally, the map in the first post does not seem to gel particularly well with the constelation. Numerous points are left off, including what appears to be a large, significant central temple. To me, it seems more like a case of "If you have a bunch of points, and you can pick them and their order, you can draw almost any silly shape you want".

As for the shared "end of the world" date, that was, iirc, simply a significant astronomical occurence. Given that both civilizations probably had knowldge of the stars, that they would pick a significant yet far off (at the time) date for their "end of the world" isn't terribly suprising.

Mokele

Why would a Canbodian society make monuments in the pattern of a European constellation? I'm sure they had their own' date=' different constellations.

Additionally, the map in the first post does not seem to gel particularly well with the constelation. Numerous points are left off, including what appears to be a large, significant central temple. To me, it seems more like a case of "If you have a bunch of points, and you can pick them and their order, you can draw almost any silly shape you want".

As for the shared "end of the world" date, that was, iirc, simply a significant astronomical occurence. Given that both civilizations probably had knowldge of the stars, that they would pick a significant yet far off (at the time) date for their "end of the world" isn't terribly suprising.

Mokele[/quote']

This was what I was thinking. Just because you draw imaginary lines in the sky, doesn't make it significant... you can come with an infinite amount a variations everytime you try. And why would the Cambodians have the same constellations as... (was it the Greeks?)

Why would a Canbodian society make monuments in the pattern of a European constellation? I'm sure they had their own' date=' different constellations.

Mokele[/quote']

I don't know much about astronomy and archaeology, and how they are to be conducted. And the question you and ecoli raised is what i am wondering too. Like PerpetualYnquisitive said, it's such a BIG coincidence. And Why would their monuments share in the same pattern of constellation? and how is it possible that some civilizations across different continents with different languages -could have known about the celestial movements of the stars when they dont even have the technology such as telescopes like the modern days? how could they all have the same knowledge of the galaxy? Maybe they traveled by boats and share knowledge with each other? I don't know. Maybe like PerpetualYnquisitive suggest, I should talk to archaeologists, egyptologists, etc to give me the benifits of this doubt. :)

Is Draco a "European" constellation? It is one of those listed by Ptolemy (circa 150 AD) so it's quite old. If it was named around the time of the Zodiac then we are looking at around 2000 BC. ( There's no proof of this, I can't find a reference as to when it was named.:) )

Angkor Wat was built by Suryavarmen II ( 1113-1150 AD) so the information had a good 3,000 years to make it's way from the Med to SE Asia.

Having said that, I fully agree with; "it seems more like a case of "If you have a bunch of points, and you can pick them and their order, you can draw almost any silly shape you want".

cchea, it's quite reasonable that the ancient civilisations knew of the "Precession of the Equinoxes" all it takes is a bit of time and some mathematics.

If you have records from 400 years ago to compare to todays, you will see a 5-6 degree shift. You would be able to tell that the stars have moved 1 degree (roughly) every 72 years. From that it is easy to deduce the time it will take for the stars to complete a full cycle.

Don't forget you don't need modern technology to see this, two flint spear points lined up with a star will do just fine.

Is Draco a "European" constellation? It is one of those listed by Ptolemy (circa 150 AD) so it's quite old. If it was named around the time of the Zodiac then we are looking at around 2000 BC. ( There's no proof of this' date=' I can't find a reference as to when it was named.:) )

Angkor Wat was built by Suryavarmen II ( 1113-1150 AD) so the information had a good 3,000 years to make it's way from the Med to SE Asia.

Having said that, I fully agree with; [i']"it seems more like a case of "If you have a bunch of points, and you can pick them and their order, you can draw almost any silly shape you want".[/i]

cchea, it's quite reasonable that the ancient civilisations knew of the "Precession of the Equinoxes" all it takes is a bit of time and some mathematics.

If you have records from 400 years ago to compare to todays, you will see a 5-6 degree shift. You would be able to tell that the stars have moved 1 degree (roughly) every 72 years. From that it is easy to deduce the time it will take for the stars to complete a full cycle.

Don't forget you don't need modern technology to see this, two flint spear points lined up with a star will do just fine.

Thank you for your response. It's such an interesting and mysterious subject to study. thanks :)