Science site for those who love experiments!

brokenbin

I have just completed my website, and it will be launched on December 1st, 2005. It is sort of like a experiments community where people can share ideas about scientific experiments. Please give me some suggestions as to what sort of thing I should have on it, what types of topics, etc. The site is during its testing stage. I would like to create a scientific site that is fun, and can benefit everyone. And of course it would just be a waste of time to recreate another scienceforums.net. So guys, please give me some creative ideas. :D

I have just completed my website, and it will be launched on December 1st, 2005. It is sort of like a experiments community where people can share ideas about scientific experiments. Please give me some suggestions as to what sort of thing I should have on it, what types of topics, etc. The site is during its testing stage. I would like to create a scientific site that is fun, and can benefit everyone. And of course it would just be a waste of time to recreate another scienceforums.net. So guys, please give me some creative ideas. :D

Chemistry experiments, Chemistry experiments, Chemistry experiments!

Detailed list of the apparatus involved (These can be a pain to find)!

Scienntific reason as to the experiments result and the expected results :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

It's important to think about who your intented audience is and what type of security level you want on your site. If you don't set some type of guideline on what type of experiments you want on your site then you're going to get a torrent of kids trying to get information on explosives.

It's important to think about who your intented audience is and what type of security level you want on your site. If you don't set some type of guideline on what type of experiments you want on your site then you're going to get a torrent of kids trying to get information on explosives.

Explosives avoid at all costs. Even if anything is remotly dangerous state that you will not be responsibe for any damage etc.

I've seen the effects of some of these unstable chemicals myself and they are not pretty as Lance said they are best avoided :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Guidelines will definitely be an important thing to consider. Explosive experiments will also be included (without the explisives, where comes the fun?) For those who request dangerous experiments, they are doing it in their own risk.

Here is a list of thing that I do have:

forum

experiments knowledge base

images albumn

chat room

etc.

I am trying to immitate SFN as much as possible in terms of functions, but I do not want to duplicate it.

By the way, it is called Ocular Networks, as it is through the ocular of microscopes and telescopes that scientists over the centuries have discovered what they know about the world. :D

Any other suggestions?

That is a good point, so I will include a warning for all the potential dangerous experiments so that children would not get hurt themselves.

Also, I also need moderators and administrators, if anyone is interested, you can sign up at this thread, just include your email and name so that I can contact you.

Maybe it is a better idea to have my site open first before i start recruiting for moderators, but oh well... :)

That is a good point' date=' so I will include a warning for all the potential dangerous experiments so that children would not get hurt themselves.

Also, I also need moderators and administrators, if anyone is interested, you can sign up at this thread, just include your email and name so that I can contact you.

Maybe it is a better idea to have my site open first before i start recruiting for moderators, but oh well... :)[/quote']

I'd help with moderation or administration if you need staff.

E-mail: sciguyryan@gmail.com

Name: I always sign it when I post a thread, Ryan Jones :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I know, and I am such a freebie... the Entire site is done using phpBB. I know it is lame, but i works fine with me. :D

I like phpBB, for one its easy to modify and alter to suit peoples needs (Can't wait for the new version to come put by the way!) :)

SMF also works good... a pitty IPB went paid because they were a good system too :mad:

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Wow, you serious, IPB used to be free?

Any ways, if anyone wants to take a look at the current construction of Ocular Networks, you can go to http://www.ocular.co.nr ... as i said, i am a freebie, so i use .co.nr domain.

As it is still under construction, the entrance requires prelaunch for username and access for password. And RyanJ, you can sign up now, and i will make you an administrator.

It is still underconstruction, so please be a bit more gental when you care criticizing it. :)

Wow' date=' you serious, IPB used to be free?

Any ways, if anyone wants to take a look at the current construction of Ocular Networks, you can go to http://www.ocular.co.nr ... as i said, i am a freebie, so i use .co.nr domain.

As it is still under construction, the entrance requires prelaunch for username and access for password. And RyanJ, you can sign up now, and i will make you an administrator.

It is still underconstruction, so please be a bit more gental when you care criticizing it. :)

I've joined, username same as here (And always).

And yes IPB was free once... I hate people who charge for software, thats why I detest Microsoft so much!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I've registered. I've managed my own site for over a year' date=' so I think you could use my experience.

I like the idea.[/quote']

If your looking for experience in the past then heres mine too:

Worked on more foums than I can count as admin, mods and super mods. Normally as the security or modifications area or as a general admin :)

Can do web-design when needed and most of all I LOVE SCIENCE! :D

Cap'n Refsmmat: I must say thats an impressive ammount of time! The most one of the forums I worked on was about 2 years but it was not mine so I don't really count it :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I would definitely love some forum management expertise!

as you can see, there isn't any categories in the forums yet, so, the first step would be to create the forums. I will make both of you (RyanJ and Cap'n Refsmmat) admins tomorrow when i am at school... My home computer is slow as a turtois...

ANd RyanJ, seriously, put cheers RyanJ in your signature. I can feel you pain of typing it every single time.

ANd RyanJ' date=' seriously, put cheers RyanJ in your signature. I can feel you pain of typing it every single time.[/quote']

Cheers brokenbin!

And like I said it really won't matter now its a habbit I've been doing for about 3 years so its not easy to break after all this time!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Cap'n Refsmmat: I must say thats an impressive ammount of time! The most one of the forums I worked on was about 2 years but it was not mine so I don't really count it :)

Indeed. My site has kind of gone kaput (lack of interest after I moved) but it managed for a while.

I should point out to brokenbin that his site is using an incredible amount of queries per page, most likely due to the fact that IntegraMOD is essentially a bunch of query-using modifications stuck together.

Indeed. My site has kind of gone kaput (lack of interest after I moved) but it managed for a while.

I should point out to brokenbin that his site is using an incredible amount of queries per page' date=' most likely due to the fact that IntegraMOD is essentially a bunch of query-using modifications stuck together.[/quote']

I can have phpBB to make ti more efficient but I would not even try with a mod I don't know about installed.

It looks pretty complex but the server seems to be able to manage it!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

yea, IntegraMOD is essentially a bunch of query-using modifications stuck together. But i wouldn't really care that much, as long as it is functional. :D

Yup, I agree with that - stick with what work. From the looks of it though it looks like a good modification!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I have just set made you two the admins... Have fun! If you are having problem logging into your administrator panel, that means that there is something wrong, just pm me either at SF or Ocular in that case. :D

Its working fine :)

One thing, only the admin member group colour seems to be working... how odd...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones