Posting during downtime

Cap'n Refsmmat

Well, I've managed to figure out why SFN is down, with a bit of WHOIS fun.

I did a WHOIS search on SFN and found the original IP of it, after realizing the main problem was that the URL wasn't resolving to an IP. This brought me to a blank page. Knowing that most webhosts have the actual URL at http://ipaddress/~user, I tried a few usernames until I found the right one. Now I got the forums.

Of course, there were no images (the images were all linked to scienceforums.net, which timed out) and I couldn't log in (the form action lead to the nonfunctional domain name as well). So I copied the login page source to my computer, modified the form action= statement, and tried again.

It worked. So now we know it's the DNS and not the server itself that's the problem.

So here I am, posting in the middle of the downtime. I guess I get a star for trying, right?

edit: dang, vB looks ugly without images!

Yeah, sorry for all of this downtime. I think some of it might be to do with the fact that our hosts are currently upgrading and migrating their servers over to a new data centre, and that's caused a few problems. Hopefully, it should all be sorted out now, but I guess we'll wait and see.

I think the only thing I fear is that problem with AOL back in the day when you would get that screen that said there was a problem with your browser when there was just really a problem with AOL and you had a virus or something and you had to reformat.. ;_; those things strike fear in me, along with anger.

dave:

I've peeked at the host's forums, and they claimed that there should have only been a few minutes of downtime, and that it was over with already (I think.).

They haven't had any outages there either, according to their network status section.

Hrm.

(Dare I also point out that the site is rather slow lately.)

Of course, there were no images (the images were all linked to scienceforums.net, which timed out)
That's the exact thing that used to happen to me. I have a thread in feedback or something about it. It seems to work right now and has been for a while. Normally it works for a while and then the immages stop loading...

I've learned to cope.