Phase Transition and Density

Daymare17

Yes. The forces that hold a gas together are very weak, therefore there is a LOT of space in between the individual gas molecules. In a liquid, no matter what liquid it is, there is a large attracton between the individual molecules and very little space. The more space between the molecules, the less dense it is. There is no gas in existance whereby the space in between the molecules/atoms is smaller than in any liquid.

Ah, yes, that's almost certainly the case, but swansont said by definition. There's nothing inherent in the nature of gases and liquids that makes it impossible that some gas could be compressed to the point of being denser than some other liquid without itself condensing. Now, just because there probably is no such gas doesn't make that any less true. That is, unless I'm missing something.

Ah, yes, that's almost certainly the case, but swansont said by definition. There's nothing inherent in the nature of gases and liquids that makes it impossible that some gas could be compressed to the point of being denser than some other liquid without itself condensing. Now, just because there probably is[/i'] no such gas doesn't make that any less true. That is, unless I'm missing something.

I agree with this. It is imaginable that a gaseous compound with an icreadibly large molecular weight has a larger density than the least dense liquids and solids. But from a practical point of view, I indeed do not know of any gaseous compound, with these properties.

Ah, yes, that's almost certainly the case, but swansont said by definition. There's nothing inherent in the nature of gases and liquids that makes it impossible that some gas could be compressed to the point of being denser than some other liquid without itself condensing. Now, just because there probably is[/i'] no such gas doesn't make that any less true. That is, unless I'm missing something.

I interpreted your question in a different way. I was assuming it was the same substance - I didn't realize you were looking for any gas that was denser than some other substance is as a liquid. So my answer needs to be taken in that context.