InfraRed

ironizer

I don't know if this is in the right section, but I've seen some tutorials where they show you how to change your camera into an infrared camera, and if you get a IR flashlight it's really cool. BUT... i've seen some stuff that is even cooler

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/photos/clint/INFRARED.JPG

you get the idea... I was wondering how you could do that, and why the regular infrared cameras are monochrome. I'm pretty good with cameras and i'm aware that you can change the apeture value and stuff to adjust the light intake so you picture could show the red/green/blue stuff like in the image. Any help is appreciated!!! :D

The CCDs used in cameras are sensitive in the near-IR. IIRC the Si cutoff is around 1.1 microns. But for things at ~310 K, the peak transmission is at around 10 microns. I think that IR viewers meant for night-vision have CCDs made from a different material.

Monochrome is easier and cheaper. Color for the visible spectrum is done by breaking up the incoming light through filters and prisms to give you red, green and yellow, or using multiple-layer CCDs. IR "color" would be arbitrary false-color, based on whatever filters you put in place.

On your moded camera you've got the IR filter which you added to the camera and that allows/doesn't allow IR light through. You get black/white/grey depending on the amount of IR coming through the filter.

Whereas in an IR camera you can get colour (americans :rolleyes:) representation for the different amounts of IR coming through. It involves assigning a specific colour for each shade of grey. I don't know how you could replicate the colour representation effect you get in IR cameras, but it isn't that simple.