computer is suddenly slow!

eruheru

I just started using a computer that hadnt been used in almost a year. the first day it worked fine, but the second day i used it, it took almost a half hour to load msconfig and most other programs take longer if they load at all. i though i heard one of the internal components restart but the computer didnt reboot. is this a hardware problem like overheating? or do i just need to defrag the drive?

Could be anything.

If it's really old then faulty hardware is a possibility.

If it's old then maybe there isn't sufficient cooling, although older systems didn't really need so much cooling to run, so maybe not.

If you think defrag might help then go for it, why not? I very much doubt it'll help, but it won't harm to try!

Maybe it's just a slow computer and was never very fast, though I doubt it is meant to take 30mins to get msconfig up!

Why did you stop using it? Virus? Error? Hardware fault? Or did you just get a newer computer and retired this one?

Yeah, it's quite possible there's some kinda hardware fault.

"clunking" noise, is it a steam powered computer? ;)

Well the only moving thing is really the hard drives aint it? So I spose that's a logical guess.

What kinda spec is this computer? Like CPU speed, amount of RAM etc.

ahh, good point, my bad... and if so that could lead to overheating, which on an old computer would lead to a slowing in speed until overheating and death to electronics!

Whereas most newer computers would shut themselves down before they reach that extreme point.

ahh' date=' good point, my bad... and if so that could lead to overheating, which on an old computer would lead to a slowing in speed until overheating and death to electronics!

Whereas most newer computers would shut themselves down before they reach that extreme point.[/quote']

Yup and those with a good motherboard and or a good BIOS will even warn you...

If your computer is over heating this could cause some real problems...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

i ran it in safe mode and it was fine. however i cant get internet and the pixels are way too big and cant be adjusted. im defraging now. does this mean its a software problem?

Na, that normally happens in safe mode :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones