The godlike powers of humanity

Daymare17

Has anyone considered how much of what is usually regarded as science fiction or godlike powers, is a fact or a possibility at our current level of development. Let me take some examples:

- Precognition, prophecy, the ability to foresee the future, is often regarded as unachievable but in fact it is the purpose of all science. Without precognition (essentially, nothing more than the knowledge of causal relation) human civilization could not exist since it is required for the simplest tasks such as agriculture. The history of humanity is the history of the expansion of precognition. There is the classic example of the Victorian Englishmen who travel to Darkest Africa and are captured by cannibals, but set free since they can predict the upcoming solar eclipse. So much for the religious monopoly on prophets. Every person today is a prophet to some extent.

- Telepathy we have already achieved through camera cellphones. You can transmit images and words instantaneously over a huge distance. So much for telepathy being a "star trek" thing.

- We can change water into wine by manipulating the individual atoms. We can also change lead into gold although it's prohibitively expensive.

- Resurrection is not achieved yet but to my knowledge we are not far from it. If you are picky then you can say that defibrillation is resurrection since people who have to be revived by defibrillation would usually die without it.

Maybe others can come up with similar things?

The ground will be cleared for science to displace religion completely when we have solved the problems that people today find that they can only solve by placing their faith in God. This means war, poverty, exploitation etc. that can only be solved by the replacement of the capitalist world economy by a democratically planned economy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with some of those but as for trecognition and telepathy I do not think so.

Precognition is forbidden in physics as one can never know the exact outcome of anything - only a probability that one event will occur. Prediction of something and precognition are different, prediction is something of a guess and precognition is more like knowing an poutcome before the outcome has happened. For example how could you predict something you have never seen before and knew nothing about?

Telepathy: I don't see how you class this as telepathy, you are not actually communicating to someone else though your mind.

Resurrection: This would be an interesting one. We have already achieved some mild success in this after all we cna bring people back who have been dead for less than 8 minutes?

Atom Manipulation: This is a good one - the alchemists dream although its not a chemical process as they thought but more like a nuclear one :)

Good list though I don't really agree with your ideas of precognition and telepathy :)

Who knows what will come: We can already create new atoms, break them apart and one day we may be making worholes or even things more bizare than that!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke (author of 2001 and numerous other science fiction classics)

Well said. You take something like a lighter back say a few hundred years - fire in the palm of your hand you could be a god let along some of the things we have today :eek:

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Has anyone considered...

Yes

And my favorite Darwin quote on the matter:

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."

But basically, we'll either become gods or destroy ourselves in the process...

heres another god like/ science fiction power man can controle

The legendary scientist Tesla figured out how to create small earthquakes by manipulating EM with electrical devices

Thats nuts! :eek:

We can also make mini-lightening and we can make things fly (With a great ammount of effort...)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The legendary scientist Tesla figured out how to create small earthquakes by manipulating EM with electrical devices

Tesla figured out that if you vibrate something at its resonance frequency you'll get complete constructive interference, so you can keep putting more and more energy into something and all of it will be stored up as increasingly stronger vibrations.

The process by which he did this though was mechanical... he vibrated his laboratory at its resonance frequency by building a machine to shake it (which we can undoubtably guess was electromechanical in nature)

Heres another one

Man can now controle the weather

The Russians set up some kind of a rain making device in Mexico

http://www.holoscience.com/news.php?article=9eq6g3aj

I'm a little suspicious of this one...

oh btw... Americans have been doing that for years... the government seeded the clouds at woodstock so it would rain on the hippies.. didn't you know?:P

Read it and weep little lizard

I just confirmed the validity of the weather making, found the source in IEEE Spectrum magazine April 2004

Electric rainmaking technology gets Mexico's blessing

Moore, S.K.

This paper appears in: Spectrum, IEEE

Publication Date: April 2004

Volume: 41, Issue: 4

On page(s): 26- 27

ISSN: 0018-9235

INSPEC Accession Number: 8091224

Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/MSPEC.2004.1279189

Posted online: 2004-04-05 13:18:28.0

Abstract

From at least the early 1940s to the end of the 20th century, it always rained more in the state of Jalisco, in central Mexico, than in its neighbor Aguascalientes. But in 2000, on a patch of parched pasture in Aguascalientes, workers from Mexico City-based Electrificacion Local de la Atmosfera Terrestre SA (ELAT) erected a peculiar field of interconnected metal poles and wires somewhat resembling the skeleton of a carnival tent. Since then, about as much rain has fallen on the plains of Aquascalientes as on its more lush neighbour. There are now 17 such installations in six states in Mexico, and in January, federal government agencies decided to back construction and operation of 19 more by 2006, potentially altering the weather in much of parched north and central Mexico. The merits of the various technologies involved are discussed.

well today magnificent day that today is Space Ghost kicked Godzillas ass

you see Godzilla has tunnel vision and is easily distracted from the truth

real scientists take their blinders off PEOPLE!!!!

don't get cocky... Im sure he was talking about the hippy/woodstock thing.

edit: oops (after reading post 22)

Yeah, I've seen the "information" online about it, and it's nothing but ridiculous speculation and conspiracy theories cobbled together with circumstance. Unless you have empirical evidence as opposed to guesses an speculations, stop wasting our time.