Cyclic universe possible? Yes, it is not.

alt_f13

Sayonara³ said in post # :

You mean like an air pocket?

I meant like two big bangs happenning side by side.

budcamp: I'm fairly certain there have been several observations of an expanding universe outside of 9 super novae.

alt_f13 said in post # :

Wait, wait. But how can they collide without a time dimension? It seems to me that there would be underlying temporal dimensions.

I am only in high school, so I cant pretend to understand all of what is being discussed here... but why does motion have to be tied to time ? Coudn't the branes move, and thus collide, without the advancement of time ?

• 2 weeks later...

If time is relative, then everything inside the universe is relative to one another, but the universe as a whole is relative to nothing, unless there is something outside the universe, which is anyones guess. So for the universe as a whole, there is just its own life span, which is actually relative to us, that's a kind of reverse relativity, like saying...There is a rock that cannot move, if I throw another rock, it still has not moved, but it has a speed relative to the rock that I threw. So the big bang happened to a universe that has no relative speed outside of itself, but is relative to everything inside itself. Therefore, a big bang can happen without time, because it has no relationship with anything.

Pincho.

Waaaaat?

They say time as a dimension was created during the big bang. I'm saying, when did the big bang happen if there was no time to start with...

I'm really starting to dislike the big bang.. it's the bogey man of physics, like god.

All great and all powerful, completely unproveable.

Discover the essence of the universe and you discover the source of the universe, I say. The rest is pure speculation.

Radical Edward said in post # :

from what I gather, it is the same time, no underlying time required. Ekpyrotic is an M-Theory thing though, so it is pretty new:

http://feynman.princeton.edu/~steinh/npr/

Yah, I think so.

Damnit, now, even if there was a lower level universe, where the hell did that come from?

Why exactly are people looking towards lower level universes to explain the existance of our own, when the lower level universes are equally as unlikely?