Nickel Catalyst Experiment

P-man

I've devised a preliminary experiment for a nickel catalyst.

First I make hydrogen through electrolysis and collect it in a test tube.

Now this test tube is special because I've rigged it like a mini fuel cell. To stop the hydrogen from coming out of the test tube, I made this little assembly that ressembles the MEA in PEM fuel cells. It's a nickel plate with a plastic sheet under it and a wire connecting the catalyst exposed to the hydrogen to the plastic exposed to the air.

Theoretically, the hydrogen should get split by the nickel into its protons and electrons. The protons go through the plastic, but since the electrons can't they take the wire to make it to the other side and react with the oxygen in the air. So I should feel moisture on the outside of the plastic, right? Or around it, at least.

I haven't done this yet but maybe I'll do it tomorrow or in the week.

??? I was under the idea that you needed some acid like based like plastic for that.

And the you needed platinum or palladium.

But if you can use pvc I'm all ears, I've been wanting to built my self a battery that runs off yeast and sugar but the membran is too much (£££).

I did make a batt that ran off beer, lol.

But it dropped apart, the chems ate the plastic, :(

But I will be remaking that and entering the led bat compo, (YT I'm coming for you 5 day belt, :P ).

LOL. good luck then, I have that Magnesium casting that I spoke of on the fone to you, I`ll be using that instead of the Magnallium next time :P

as for the fuel cell, isn`t a Hydroxide used? either a Sodium or potassium as the medium? or is that a different type of fuel cell altogether?

LOL. good luck then' date=' I have that Magnesium casting that I spoke of on the fone to you, I`ll be using that instead of the Magnallium next time :P

as for the fuel cell, isn`t a Hydroxide used? either a Sodium or potassium as the medium? or is that a different type of fuel cell altogether?[/quote']

Yeah you're spot on.

I was going to use methanol but that will kill the Hydroxide over time.

Ethanol doesnt seem to bother it too much. :D

I built it using some plastic (from a sign) and used super glue (only thing I had at the time) added some tubes from a fuel tank.

It weight nothing but lite the led easy. It was going for about 3 days until the plastic gave way and leaked onto the table taking the surface off with it, lol.

But it was fun, just never got around to doing it again as I was running low on KOH at the time.

But now I've got some NaOH I'm happy, :D

I'll retry it in a week or so. lol.

150ml of ethanol will go for along time, :)