New stem cell research.

Kermit

I've just been set an essay today on the moral implications of stem cell research, if there are no silly religious arguments any more, I'll have nothing to write about!

This research seems like an extraordinary amount of fuss to save one embryo. Surely it would be a lot more fun just to create a new one?

good find. thanks Kermit!

I actually don't understand the stem cell issues very well and would be happy if someone would explain some details.

I believe that when a human egg cell is fertilized IN VITRO and begins to divide and reaches a stage of, say, 8 cells----that then one of those 8 cells can be removed and the remaining 7 cells still are a viable embryo!

And according to my understanding that embryo could be implanted in the mother's uterus and develop into a healthy baby.

BUT I CONCLUDE THAT MY UNDERSTANDING OF THIS MUST BE WRONG because if that were so then why would there be any problem? the embryo would NOT NEED TO BE DESTROYED. it would just have one cell removed----which I suppose would be enough to start a cell line---and that would not harm the embryo.

And wouldnt that one cell, out of the 8, be as yet undifferentiated and unspecialized and be usuable to start a line of stem cells.

So what am I missing? Can anyone clear this up?

All the cells in the human body have the very same DNA. Each cellular differentiation will pack away all the unused/uneeded genes and only use a narrowed distribution of the entire DNA. The stems cells have not yet differntiated and are nice and loose. They and can go in any direction to potentially form any other cell.

The left over stem cells within the mouse embryo are part of an organization or grouping of stem cells, which have a polarization as a whole. The polarization is not disrupted, maintaining the potential needed to drive the remainder in the direction of the final multicellular lifeform. The hole is filled in to complete the circuit.

All the cells in the human body have the very same DNA. Each cellular differentiation will pack away all the unused/uneeded genes and only use a narrowed distribution of the entire DNA. The stems cells have not yet differntiated and are nice and loose. They and can go in any direction to potentially form any other cell.

The left over stem cells within the mouse embryo are part of an organization or grouping of stem cells' date=' which have a polarization as a whole. The polarization is not disrupted, maintaining the potential needed to drive the remainder in the direction of the final multicellular lifeform. The hole is filled in to complete the circuit.[/quote']

That all makes sense, now look at what seems like an apparent contradiction:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/daily/graphics/sexselection_121404.html

Substantial numbers of people are choosing the sex of their babies by each of two methods.

One method sorts the sperm and then proceeds with in UTERO fertilization.

the other method is more reliable and is practiced more (though it's more expensive) and it is described (see link) as harvesting eggs, doing in VITRO fertilization, then when each embryo is about EIGHT CELLS grown, one REMOVES ONE CELL and tests it for sex. the REMAINING SEVEN CELLS constitute a viable embryo which is now of known sex. And one can be implanted in the uterus and proceed to make a normal baby.

since apparently this proceedure is now commonly performed, why can't it be used to get stem cells? getting the one cell from the group of eight does not involve destroying an embryo.

SO WHAT IS THE ETHICAL OBSTACLE TO OBTAINING as many embryonic stem cells as one wants?

admittedly what i am describing is a comparatively complicated and expensive. if you didnt care about destroying an 8-cell embryo you could simply do in vitro and harvest all 8 cells, or let it grow some more and harvest 16 etc.

Can you explain the moral difference between what I am talking about as a way of non-destructively getting one stem cell----and what people are doing routinely whenever they choose the sex of their off-spring?

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps people who oppose stem cell research think that even taking one stem cell from an embryo is evil? (I'm as confused as you Martin.)

Who cares... maybe if they learned something about it and its uses and benefits to them an future generations that may change thir minds... very doubtful they would do that though as they'd rather compail about everything instead of learning about it :mad:

Cheers,

Ryan Jones