Interesting memory...

JonM

I am 19 I always like to think I have a fairly good memory. One that stood out was when I was younger (perhaps when I was 4 years old, maybe younger) was when my mother and I (and I think my grandmother too) were shopping at this nice town. I remember getting a red white and blue futuristic toy gun that made a tiny spark inside when fired. I remeber the lady who worked at the toy store and bin in which the guns were held. But anyway that’s not what interesting about it, but what is interesting is that I remember specifically that this town was east of where I used to live. I had no idea what the town was called or anything, but I remember taking the bus, and I know that it was east. (Note:, I don’t think I knew what east/west was when I was 4, but I knew the direction it was related to where I used to live, and now that I know better, I have applied the term east to this direction) Curious about this, I asked my mother recently if they had taken me anywhere to shop when I younger in a nice area that was east of where we used to live. She confirmed it when she said she took me to Cedarhurst, which is an upscale town with lots of shopping, and I’ve been there not too long ago and the style resembles my memory perfectly.

So for me at least, I know that when I was 4 years old or younger, I was able to retain direction in my memory from taking the bus. Now I know that humans have a ‘knack’ for direction right? So is this something possible or am I just putting coincidences together?

Neuroscience...

Anyways, there is a probability that future events allowed you to put the pieces together of what everything around you was as you grew older and thought back to earlier times. Understanding direction for instance.

You said you applied the term east.. At age four did you know what East was? Future memories and understandings can mix with younger ones.

With time of course humanity begins to understand that certain environmental conditions are constant such as where the sun rises and with more knowledge, they understand the north star..