Reading EXE Files

herme3

Does anybody know how to open the code and edit an .exe file? When I open an .exe file in Notepad, all I can see is the variable declarations and text messages in the program. I also see links to .dll files. The rest of the file is unreadable.

Is there any type of software that can read a program and translate it into the original programming language? Since programming language can be compiled into an .exe file, it seems like it would be possible to do the opposite.

I've heard of the so-called decompilers running amok, and I've been told that few of them of work. I personally have no experience with decompiling. But:

if exes could be so easily decompiled, almost every piece of software would be open-sourced and no software companies could ever make even a cent.

I've heard of the so-called decompilers running amok' date=' and I've been told that few of them of work. I personally have no experience with decompiling. But:

if exes could be so easily decompiled, almost every piece of software would be open-sourced and no software companies could ever make even a cent.[/quote']

Yeah, that's true, but it's worth a try... I'm also wondering why he needs to decompile an .exe..seems illegal! :P

Not really. If I made a really cool .exe and sent it to you and you didn't know how to program it and wanted to nick the coding from the .exe you could legally use a decompiler to decompile the .exe into code. This is true unless I copyrighted the file, but friend-to-friend home made .exe sharing isn't usually copyrighted stuff!

That sounds like the job for a decompiler. Try the REC decompiler..

Ok, thanks.

I'm also wondering why he needs to decompile an .exe..seems illegal! :P

Just for fun. I don't plan on taking any copyrighted programs and reselling it as my own. I would just like to make changes to computer software, and use it on my computer.

I have edited some video games, and it can be very fun. Just by using a GameShark, you can change different parts of the games. You can make the hero into the bad guy, and stuff like that. If you edit a computer game, you can even design your own levels with a discombobulator program.

Has anybody here played Super Mario Bros. 3? Nintendo created many more levels in the game than were in the final product. However, some people have edited the game and discovered all of these levels. They aren't accessible from playing the game, but they are hidden deep within the ROM of the game.

I know that many programs have lots hidden features that are disabled, but still in the program. Just a few minor changes to the source code of the .exe files could unlock these features. It just seems like fun. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It also depends on what language it was written in. Back in the old VB3 days, you could easily use DODs Decompiler(? i think that was the name) to decompile the program...but now its gotten harder to do. The reason for it being easy is that the program requires microsofts runtime dll to run the executable, and wasnt fully in machine code. Written in another language, such as C/C++, its more difficult. You can decompile it, but only to assembly. If you have Visual Studio installed, and you open up an executable(if debugging)...you will see the ASM code.

There are ways to do this legally and illegally I am familiar with bothn but I'll not go into them here because I'd rather scienceforums not get closed down :)

Annoying companies like Microcrap try to do things to the source code to stop you decompiling it but they fail when you know how they encode the files. Most programs can be decomplied easily providing you know the language it ws written in. (I have a few programs here I usse when security testing for Microcrap... these are pretty devestating programs for ripping appart source code).

Most compaines do not encode or try to encrypt the source code and these are the easiest to "break".

I persoanlly feel that all programs should be free end of story.

Anyway a quich google search will help you and also look at some security websites they sh0ould be able to tell you how it works and what its limits are but good luck getting the informaiton on how you do it out of them.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I use wdasm and vi. Knowledge of assembly is required though. A disassembler does not yield source code, only decompiled assembly language.

You are correct in one sence and wrong in another. Certain compliers decompile to assembly then using a special method they can then convert that back into source code although thats not very easy to do :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

if you want to peek around inside exe's and decompile/compile in them try resource hacker.

Yup, it is a good program but its not strictly a decompiler either because it does other things too :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

if you want to peek around inside exe's and decompile/compile in them try resource hacker.

Yup, it is a good program but its not strictly a decompiler either because it does other things too :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones