Scientific research on the internet?

LucidDreamer

Can you conduct scientific research over the internet and have it published in a peer-reviewed journal? I was thinking about a psychology research project that I have always wanted to do involving IQ, and then I thought about how interesting it would be if it could be done over the internet. Does anybody know about other research that has been done over the internet and published? Does anybody know anything about how internet research might be done?

I think you would be limited over what you could achieve. It's pretty hard to have any control or certainty over the conditions that the subject is in. I think you would have to be very careful about choosing which parameters you could investigate - in any kind of test.

Some papers that may be useful:

Buchanan T, Ali T, Heffernan TM, Ling J, Parrott AC, Rodgers J, Scholey AB.

Nonequivalence of on-line and paper-and-pencil psychological tests: the case of the prospective memory questionnaire.

Behav Res Methods. 2005 Feb;37(1):148-54.

These guys basically say that there can be differences and tests should be checked individually.

An example of people that use the internet to get data:

Fogel J, Ford DE.

Stigma beliefs of Asian Americans with depression in an internet sample.

Can J Psychiatry. 2005 Jul;50(8):470-8.

I think the best course of action would be to devise your test and then conduct one sample over the internet and another under controlled conditions. If you can proove that their is no difference you should then be able to go on and use the internet alone.

I think it would be hard to get people to do IQ related stuff over the internet. There are all these damn 'check your IQ' pop-ups and ads plastered over every other page. I think that if a saw any page with IQ on it I would reach for the back button :)