Copper sulphate and Calcium chloride

jsatan

Hi, I was seeing what colours I could get whne I burned some chems with sodium chlorate.

I added copper sulphate to this mix with some sugar and it gave me a great blue purple, :D

I noticed a very yellow colour in my mixing dish after I tried the Calcium chloride.

So I found out what it was. If I get some Calcium chloride and mix this with copper sulphate it gives me a strange yellow with will turn green ish.

but if I add some water it goes clear, the blue and the yellow.

Whats going on here?

Calcium ions impart a yellowish color to a flame, and sodium ions impart a deep yellow/orange color in a flame. Would you be able to explain the experiment you're doing, because I'm having trouble understanding what it is that you are actually doing. (Are you burning a mixture of the chlorate and the salt, or are you mixing them in water and holding it in a flame?)

o sorry, I was burning at first but then I found the mix change colour while still in the mixing bowl, not burning, :P

So ignore the burning of chems,

Mixed copper sulphate and Calcium chloride,( little water if needed).

I get a yellow chem on the Calcium chloride bits.

This turns greenish after a while.

Add more water and there is no colour, lol

Copper sulfate and calcium chloride indeed can give rise to a yellow compound.

The mechanism might be as follows:

Copper chloride is formed from the chloride and copper ions in the mix (e.g. because small amounts of water are present and some CaCl2 dissolves).

The copper chloride looses all its water of crystallization. This is taken op by the calcium chloride.

Anhydrous copper (II) chloride is yellow/brown.

When the stuff is allowed to stand in contact with air, then moisture is absorbed and the copper (II) chloride is hydrated and the color changes from yellow/brown to cyan/blue.

BTW, this is a very good observation. Nice that you notice these details and do not simply neglect them.

Copper sulfate and calcium chloride indeed can give rise to a yellow compound.

The mechanism might be as follows:

Copper chloride is formed from the chloride and copper ions in the mix (e.g. because small amounts of water are present and some CaCl2 dissolves).

The copper chloride looses all its water of crystallization. This is taken op by the calcium chloride.

Anhydrous copper (II) chloride is yellow/brown.

When the stuff is allowed to stand in contact with air' date=' then moisture is absorbed and the copper (II) chloride is hydrated and the color changes from yellow/brown to cyan/blue.

BTW, this is a very good observation. Nice that you notice these details and do not simply neglect them.[/quote']

:D yeah I alway notice the little things, I'll have to try this again but bigger amounts and see what else I can do. :)

:D yeah I alway notice the little things, I'll have to try this again but bigger amounts and see what else I can do. :)

If you have more of these "little things", I would invite you to post them if you don't have a (trivial) explanation for them. In this way, I have come up with quite a lot of riddles already (I have some on my website in the riddles section). I also am very picky on those little details. Such little details sometimes lead to very surprising insights or discoveries.

I'd did it again.

I powdered the Calcium chloride Then added the copper sulphate.

This turned yellow.

I added a little water and it was a yellow green.

Add more water and it turns blue.:D

add more Calcium chloride and it turns yellow again, lol.

So you can see the fight between the copper and calcium for the water.

:D

Yeah I'll post some more examples of little things I've noticed.

The first thing I ever noticed was years ago when I was about 9 ish.

I got some red salt like stuff and added water.

I noticed when this was heated it turned blue and when cooled turn back to red.

I think this was Calcium colbolt of something,(long time).

I later read this in a book about 6 years later. :D Thats the best part reading something you found out on your own..