Magnetic propulsion

MIG

In the space we can create energy but we cannot create materials ( fuel’s ) .

I think and read a lot about magnetic propulsion but I cant find any good schematic description. I don’t know if there is any ( maybe NASA have something )

I will like to see what you think about this , this is all my idea

I will start with basic principle of how my mechanism will work

We have 4 electromagnets 2 of them are flouting on the magnetic railroad (or in basic appliance they can be on the wheel and slide on the surface of railroad )and the other 2 are fixed on the end of the ship or vehicle.

When we put power in the electromagnets they will start moving and push the vehicle only in one direction.( fixed electromagnets are for avoiding direct mechanical hit of moving electromagnets with surface of the vehicle ) this is the picture

basic.jpg

Like you can se generator of electricity is onboard .

BASIC.JPG

ADVANCE.JPG

Well your idea is great. It's probably what most engineers would have in mind. The propulsion is not so big the issue. The main obstacle for commercializing this is the amount of material needed for magnetic levitation; it's not economical to say the least.

The second obstacle is stability. Have you ever been able to have one magnet levitate over another just right? Imagine a train on such tracks. One little shake and it slips off just like that. You will need to devise a very complicated control feedback scheme with low response time and minimal overshoot, since overshooting can cause it to slip off the other direction. Although I am confident in our current control technology, the amount of material needed doesn't explain itself.

I ‘m sure this device will work and it is stable , but yes there must be a electronics that will turn magnets on or off

I think if I put one more f electromagnet between too magnets but fixed with vehicle it will be better( nodes must be change in that case )

• 3 weeks later...

This idea has actually been posed before. In certain specialized applications (like transportation between bases on the moon, where temperatures are usually low enough for a superconducting state to be reached in some materials without any refrigeration), this is great, and by all means effective and energy-efficient as well as extremely fast. The largest problem (other than economics) that you will run into in space is not, as Mezarashi suggested, the stability problem, but rather the recoil of the system. As Newton said, every action has an opposite but equal reaction. In other words, for every force you exert from the track on the train, the train pushes equally backwards on the track. When you encorporate mass into this, the acceleration of the track could be negligible, or it could be immense. It all depends on the relative masses of the train and the track. If the track were massive (nearly covering an entire orbit of the moon) then it would just spin, meaning that the acceleration of the next ship could be used to stop the rotation of the ring-accelerator, but that is a much longer story. Instead, I wish to provide some background information for you, and a place that you can start to develop your idea from.

The main obstacle for commercializing this is the amount of material needed for magnetic levitation; it's not economical to say the least.

I agree with you 100%. The bane of many exceptionally well-thought, technologically impressive innovations is often the cost of bringing the idea into physical fruition.

The second obstacle is stability. Have you ever been able to have one magnet levitate over another just right? Imagine a train on such tracks. One little shake and it slips off just like that. You will need to devise a very complicated control feedback scheme with low response time and minimal overshoot, since overshooting can cause it to slip off the other direction. Although I am confident in our current control technology, the amount of material needed doesn't explain itself.

Here I have to disagree. First, a little background information. Earnshaw's theorem states that it is impossible to levitate something magnetically, but it is VITAL to note that there are many exceptions to this theorem, which is based on a number of assumptions that may or may not be true. Here is a page discussing magnetic levitation, Earnshaw's theorem, and its applications in producing stable magnetic levitation. Note that this does not mean magnetic levitation is completely impossible, because it IS, in fact, possible, it is just impossible under certain circumstances. The example of trying to get one magnet to levitate perfectly above another is a perfect example of Earnshaw's theorem. The magnet will always flip over, attaching itself to the other magnet in the process (probably at blindingly fast speed).

Second, these control systems do not need to be complex or dynamic. Manipulation of the arrangements of magnets in the track can produce this effect. Alternatively, a Halbach array can be used to levitate the train, and conventional magnets can be used on either side of the train for stability purposes. Furthermore, the train could simply be placed above a superconducting track (or vice versa), which would be levitated by the Meissner effect, and all the needed stability control could be provided by altering the shape of the superfonducting track (I actually find the German version of this to be more informative, but I can hardly read the German, and I understand that the accepted language here is not German but English). Again, this last example would be ideal in a situation where it could be naturally at a temperature below the superconductor's critical temperature and shielded from sources of heat - like placing it in a tunnel on the moon. Placing it underground would also effectively combat the biological issues that harmful radiation poses.

Sorry about the length. I hope it's helpful!

• 1 month later...