Fully Hydraulic Transmission Motor

martillo

I have developed a very innovative combustion motor with a fully hydraulic transmission system. I'm posting here the diagram with a brief description I made to present it. The aim is to discuss potential problems and/or advantages it could have that I haven't seen on it.
Any comment is welcome.

image.thumb.jpeg.53fac06e07ef00d35147710c1808ec95.jpeg

Here is given a schematic description of a combustion motor with a simple but 
innovative hydraulic transmission system (based on an adaptation of an electrical device 
known as rectifier to hydraulics) which converts an alternating hydraulic flux to a 
“continuous” flux with automatic valves. The continuous hydraulic fluid would be 
directly transferred to hydraulic motor/turbine(s) to produce shaft rotational power.

While on one side the hydraulic fluid descends and the other side ascends following 
the alternate sequence of the cycle of admission, compression, combustion and escape, 
a continuous flux of hydraulic fluid always moves in the same direction through the 
transmission line allowing the motor/turbines rotate the shaft(s).

ALTERNATING MOVEMENT STABILITY:
For the stability of the alternating movement of the pistons no flywheel is needed. 
Looking at the diagram it can be seen that the system with the hydraulic rectifier works 
fine in any configuration of the pistons. The force of combustion on a piston in any 
configuration will push it down and the hydraulic fluid will continue circulating always 
in the same direction.

MOVING IN REVERSE:
The solution is based in the design of reversible valves that could manually reverse 
the direction of circulation of the hydraulic fluid. In this case the motor/turbines would 
try to rotate in reverse with the hydraulic fluid circulating in the same direction. This 
provides also a way to brake the vehicle with the hydraulic motor.

AUTOMOBILE APPLICATION FEATURES:
_ In replacement of the conventional transmission and clutch flux control can be 
provided with the bypass line.
_ If each wheel has attached its own motor/turbine no differential is needed.

FIRST ADVANTAGES:
_ Most of the mechanical parts of the conventional transmission of a combustion 
motor system are waived: crankshaft, freewheel, clutch, transmission box and 
differential.
_ The overall propulsion system (motor + transmission) would weight much less 
with the obvious improvement in efficiency (less fuel consumption for automobile 
applications).

FINAL NOTES:
_ The motor of two pistons described in the diagram could work well in a 2T 
configuration with gasoline, diesel or even other fuels like hydrogen. It can work 
without a crankshaft and related mobile parts. In this case a motor starter must be 
developed and for motors with sparking an ignition system must also be developed.
_ 4T motors could be developed with at least four pistons. They could be 
accomplished with two 2T motors just working in parallel over the same transmission 
line (simple connection to a unique hydraulic rectifier) and the four pistons 
synchronized with a crankshaft. Similarly, six pistons motors and more could be 
developed.
_ Some small hydraulic turbine could move an alternator for battery charge.

3 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Looks like the thing would work in principle.  However it seems to me that it would be much less efficient than using the pistons to directly rotate a shaft.

It would depend on the efficiency of the hydraulic turbines/motors attached to the wheels, I know.

Posted (edited)

I think the main advantage of this hydraulic transmission system stays in its extreme simplicity waiving lot of production costs. I know that also innovative designs in some of it parts would be needed to put it to work but the benefits well  pay these things I think.

Just to mention, I'm not interested in any possible patenting rights of the idea. Anyone can make completely free use of it if it where the case. That's why I'm posting it here. If by chance someone could actually be interested to know about the authorship he/she can just send me a personal message requiring the data. I tried to contact some people in the past having no feedback at all. My hope is that it could have useful applications somewhere and not just end lost in the bottom of the drawer.

Edited by martillo

4 hours ago, martillo said:

It would depend on the efficiency of the hydraulic turbines/motors attached to the wheels, I know.

Regardless of the efficiency of the turbine, you will have a lot of loss of efficiency by running an entire hydraulic system.  It is cheaper and more efficient to just use the engine power directly to turn the wheels. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Regardless of the efficiency of the turbine, you will have a lot of loss of efficiency by running an entire hydraulic system.  It is cheaper and more efficient to just use the engine power directly to turn the wheels. 

I don't know precisely with how much efficiently this system could be implemented. Anyway, I think it could have at least its appropriated applications. 2T motors are less efficient than 4T motors nevertheless they are used in some applications like motorbikes, chainsaws, grass cutters, etc.

Edited by martillo