Why does fine-tunning for life suggest a multiverse?

11 hours ago, Genady said:

This part is not (and was not, since I've heard about this hypothesis first time) clear to me. Populations in biology are finite in size and limited by available resources, which is the cause of competition and natural selection. I don't see this kind of selection in this hypothesis.

It's a crude analogy.  I guess the idea is that the number of universes that have constants which favor black hole formation will tend to increase.  Not about competition, more about "fertility" - without any barriers, the ratio of BH forming universes tends to increase.  Indeed, black holes don't have to adapt - just form and then collapse.  The collapse opens another universe.  The process is passive proliferation.  

Edited by TheVat
retrieving quote b/c of page break

18 hours ago, Genady said:

I think it can be refuted in principle, for example, if ways to derive the values of constants from first principles were found.

Well, literally not refuted, but superfluous: one of the reasons to believe there are multiple universes would drop away.

15 hours ago, Genady said:

We start with eliminating some of them. Speed of light, Planck's constant, gravitational constant, and Boltzmann constant are just unit conversion factors. They are all equal 1 in appropriate units.

Hmm... But in different universes what is 'appropriate' might differ, no? With that the conversion factors would be different, so I would say your 'just' is not well placed here.

15 hours ago, Genady said:
15 hours ago, TheVat said:

What causes there to be three extended spatial dimensions?

This is the only number of dimensions that makes equal the numbers of independent rotations and independent boosts, for example.

That is not a cause. But I think TheVat's question is not answerable. 

2 hours ago, Eise said:

But in different universes what is 'appropriate' might differ, no?

I don't think so. For example, in any universe, one could pick a unit of time and then define a unit of distance as the distance which is covered by light in that unit of time. In these units, the speed of light is 1. E.g., 1 year for time and 1 light-year for distance: c = 1 lyr/year = 1. The same works for other units, such as defining degree temperature to make the Boltzmann constant equal to 1, etc.

2 hours ago, Eise said:

That is not a cause.

It could be the cause if we discover that these two numbers have to be equal because of some dynamic symmetry, for example. You might not call it a cause in such case, but it could be the only value that allows solution of an equation.

Simply put, my hypothesis is that the parameter values cannot be different, like the value of number pi cannot be different.

Edited by Genady