Help on this Biology Question... Bit stuck!

FierceFirefly

Just wondering if anyone is able to help me with this biology question.

Suggest and explain why osmosis is so important in the structural support systems of plants. (6marks)

I have an idea that it's to do with the fact that depending on the state- whether it's hyptonic environment, hypersonic environment or isotonic state. Other than that I have absolutely no idea. Any suggestions would be greatly received.

1 hour ago, FierceFirefly said:

Suggest and explain why osmosis is so important in the structural support systems of plants. (6marks)

I have an idea that it's to do with the fact that depending on the state- whether it's hyptonic environment, hypersonic environment or isotonic state. Other than that I have absolutely no idea. Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Here's a clue: what happens when a plant wilts, due to lack of water?

39 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Here's a clue: what happens when a plant wilts, due to lack of water?

The water chains in the xylem become thinner and thinner... The plant is loosing water faster than it can replenish it.

I believe this is correct to your clue. And thank you.

2 hours ago, FierceFirefly said:

OK so we are going to work from general experience

What holds up bouncy castles, lilos, air beds, bicycle tyres and the like ?

I am going to answer this in a spoiler considering the circumstances and it is general science you will need

to know something about.

Spoiler

Pressure.

The air inside the 'balloons' is at greater slightly greater pressure than the air outside. You do not need a great amount.

So the balloon fabrics resist deformation and the balloon becomes stiffer.

Now associated with the process we call osmosis, there is an increase in pressure of a fluid, which is not air.

What do you think this fluid is ?

You have obviously found your way round this site very well.

Did you read any of the rules ?

Two things.

Firstly new members are allowed 5 posts in their first 24 hours. This is an effective impediment to the bad guys.
Since you have one left, think very carefully before you reply.
After one day you can have as many posts as you like and conversation can continue normally.

Secondly, the homework section has some special rules.
We are not allowed to just tell you the answer, as we could in the biology section.
So is this actual homework or just part of your catching up.
There are good folks here who would encourage that.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, studiot said:

OK so we are going to work from general experience

What holds up bouncy castles, lilos, air beds, bicycle tyres and the like ?

I am going to answer this in a spoiler considering the circumstances and it is general science you will need

to know something about.

Reveal hidden contents

Pressure.

The air inside the 'balloons' is at greater slightly greater pressure than the air outside. You do not need a great amount.

So the balloon fabrics resist deformation and the balloon becomes stiffer.

Now associated with the process we call osmosis, there is an increase in pressure of a fluid, which is not air.

What do you think this fluid is ?

You have obviously found your way round this site very well.

Did you read any of the rules ?

Two things.

Firstly new members are allowed 5 posts in their first 24 hours. This is an effective impediment to the bad guys.
Since you have one left, think very carefully before you reply.
After one day you can have as many posts as you like and conversation can continue normally.

Secondly, the homework section has some special rules.
We are not allowed to just tell you the answer, as we could in the biology section.
So is this actual homework or just part of your catching up.
There are good folks here who would encourage that.

Hi sorry took some time to find this comment... It is part of my catch up work but thought that as it is questions it would be best to ask in the Homework Help section.