... decrease in pressure ? ...

zetetic56

5 minutes ago, zetetic56 said:

There is a force pushing down on the spring.  Would we say "this force is from the downward pressure from the fluid" or would we say "this force is from the gravitational attraction between the fluid and the Earth below"?

I think we can say any of that or something else, e.g., "the force is from the wall", - as long as we understand the mechanics of it.

12 minutes ago, Genady said:

I think we can say any of that or something else, e.g., "the force is from the wall", - as long as we understand the mechanics of it.

If it makes sense to mechanically think of the force compressing the spring is from the downward pressure from the fluid, then 

sfq07.jpg.41037207f1ebdfa58a418c9cc56ad1dc.jpg

If there is a paddle wheel immersed in the water and fixed in place connected to the movable floor, and if we have two systems with the same thing, but in one system the water is not being circulated around inside the open topped cup while in the other system the water is being circulated around inside the open topped cup, and so there is a decrease in downward pressure in the one case and not this decrease in the other, then will the compressed spring be less compressed in the case where the fluid is moving?

sfq08.jpg.940563f87741aee04ae0a267f1a48e13.jpg

The area of the floor remains the same in both cases, but in the one case the amount of pressure pushing down on the floor decreases.

If it mechanically makes sense to think of the spring being compressed by the downward pressure in the fluid, then I would think that the spring will decompress in the case where the fluid is moving around.

(?)

What do ya' think?

Thank you and cheers. : ) !!!

13 minutes ago, Genady said:

No, there is not. The rotating paddle wheel will circulate the water but will not decrease the pressure.

Hmmm?

These are the steps in my reasoning:

sfq11.jpg.beebf6f61e70d97a6d142b56a9f04823.jpg

If the wall will move to the right when the fluid is circulating around in the pipe and so is moving relative to the wall, then I would think if the paddle wheel was immerse in a fluid in a cup where there is a movable side wall as well that the same logic would apply and the wall with the circulating fluid would also move to the right.

sfq12.jpg.556a7ccfac2ba124dd5f06fa2cfb1ff5.jpg

And if the side wall would move to the right when the fluid is moving relative to the wall and the pressure from the fluid decreases, then I would expect the same pressure decrease when the fluid moves relative to a moveable floor and so (my reasoning) is that the spring will decompress.

That's how I ended up where I am on this.

Perhaps there's some bit of Physics that I am missing here.  Or perhaps I just don't understand the point.

Thank you for your time. : ) !!!

2 minutes ago, zetetic56 said:

Hmmm?

These are the steps in my reasoning:

sfq11.jpg.beebf6f61e70d97a6d142b56a9f04823.jpg

If the wall will move to the right when the fluid is circulating around in the pipe and so is moving relative to the wall, then I would think if the paddle wheel was immerse in a fluid in a cup where there is a movable side wall as well that the same logic would apply and the wall with the circulating fluid would also move to the right.

sfq12.jpg.556a7ccfac2ba124dd5f06fa2cfb1ff5.jpg

And if the side wall would move to the right when the fluid is moving relative to the wall and the pressure from the fluid decreases, then I would expect the same pressure decrease when the fluid moves relative to a moveable floor and so (my reasoning) is that the spring will decompress.

That's how I ended up where I am on this.

Perhaps there's some bit of Physics that I am missing here.  Or perhaps I just don't understand the point.

Thank you for your time. : ) !!!

Regardless of the wall being vertical or horizontal, if the fluid moves by external force, this movement does not reduce the pressure.

Yes, perhaps you better go back and find where this idea of the reduced pressure came from.

8 minutes ago, Genady said:

Yes, perhaps you better go back and find where this idea of the reduced pressure came from.

I did.

I thought we were in agreement about this, but maybe not.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:46 PM, Genady said:

Or, like this:

image.png.3a3d2bfcf70e7026392b994a710f4249.png

Yes, it seems that you are correct. The pressure on the right side of the wall is lower than on the left. The wall will move to the right and the water level on the right will rise.

I thought we agreed, but maybe not.

8 minutes ago, Genady said:

Regardless of the wall being vertical or horizontal, if the fluid moves by external force, this movement does not reduce the pressure.

sfq13.jpg.f7a8e9bf78dbf62a20c005c62a7d300e.jpg

The force that circulates the fluid comes from the pump.  Is this not "external"?  There may be a technical definition of "extremal force" in Physics and I just need to learn the mechanics of this and how it works.

(?)

Thank you. : ) !!!

11 minutes ago, zetetic56 said:

I did.

I thought we were in agreement about this, but maybe not.

I thought we agreed, but maybe not.

sfq13.jpg.f7a8e9bf78dbf62a20c005c62a7d300e.jpg

The force that circulates the fluid comes from the pump.  Is this not "external"?  There may be a technical definition of "extremal force" in Physics and I just need to learn the mechanics of this and how it works.

(?)

I think I made a mistake there by jumping to conclusion that it will reduce a pressure on the wall.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:46 PM, Genady said:

Or, like this:

image.png.3a3d2bfcf70e7026392b994a710f4249.png

Yes, it seems that you are correct. The pressure on the right side of the wall is lower than on the left. The wall will move to the right and the water level on the right will rise.

"[T]he Bernoulli Principle, which states that the speed of a fluid (air, in this case) determines the amount of pressure that a fluid can exert." - nasa.gov

It is my understanding that when a solid body moves through a fluid and when a fluid moves through a solid body (a pipe), when there is relative motion, and if the solid and the fluid are in contract with one another, then this means the pressure from the fluid on the solid decreases (and the faster the relative motion the greater the decrease in pressure).  

Your reasoning that there will be a pressure decrease on the right side of the wall as the fluid is moving relative to it, seems solid logic, given my basic understanding of Bernoulli's Principle, to me.

(?)

1 hour ago, zetetic56 said:

"[T]he Bernoulli Principle, which states that the speed of a fluid (air, in this case) determines the amount of pressure that a fluid can exert." - nasa.gov

It is my understanding that when a solid body moves through a fluid and when a fluid moves through a solid body (a pipe), when there is relative motion, and if the solid and the fluid are in contract with one another, then this means the pressure from the fluid on the solid decreases (and the faster the relative motion the greater the decrease in pressure).  

Your reasoning that there will be a pressure decrease on the right side of the wall as the fluid is moving relative to it, seems solid logic, given my basic understanding of Bernoulli's Principle, to me.

(?)

Inside the flow, where there are no other sources of energy, the pressure where the fluid moves faster is lower than the pressure where it moves slower. How it relates to the pressure outside the flow, is another question.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

How it relates to the pressure outside the flow, is another question.

sfq16.jpg.75ccb4e17458d0fb09abd3905a1a7e12.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is possible that when a fluid goes from being at rest inside a circular tube to being in motion, that while there is a decrease in pressure within the moving fluid, that it is possible that this decrease in pressure does not affect the pressure of the fluid on the solid wall that the fluid is moving relative to.

sfq18.jpg.18c8c33d86394c2532ddf3ca4808e646.jpg

Then is it possible that if there is an airfoil in a wind tunnel that as the fluid moves over the top and bottom of the solid body that while there is a pressure decrease in the moving fluid itself that this pressure decrease does not affect the pressure of the fluid on the solid body of the airfoil that the fluid is moving relative to?

That doesn't sound right to me.

Or perhaps I did not understand your response?

Edited by zetetic56

when a fluid goes from being at rest inside a circular tube to being in motion, that while there is a decrease in pressure within the moving fluid...

No, I don't see why causing the fluid to move would decrease the pressure within the fluid. The Bernoulli's principle doesn't say so, AFAIK.  

On 6/17/2023 at 2:34 AM, Ken Fabian said:

@Genady I need to think about it. I note there is pressure reduction behind an object moving through water, at the extreme you get cavitation, but I don't know, your reasoning seems sound too.

I think you're right and I see where some decrease in pressure above the sinking piston might come from. As the piston moves down and the fluid above it moves down with it, a level of the top surface of the fluid is lowered because it takes time for the fluid sipping in from below to fill the gap. Thus, the height of the fluid column above the moving piston is smaller than "normal", and the pressure is lower accordingly.

Edited by Genady

23 minutes ago, Genady said:

No, I don't see why causing the fluid to move would decrease the pressure within the fluid. The Bernoulli's principle doesn't say so, AFAIK. 

I didn't understand your use of terms "inside the flow" and "outside the flow".  Apologies.

sfq16.jpg.994753861cfd3e4a641f0ae734e15f98.jpg

Are you saying that it is possible for the fluid to move relative to the wall and to not have a pressure decrease from the fluid on the wall?

I don't think that make sense.

But maybe there is something I'm missing and/or misunderstanding.

( ? )

Thanks. : ) !!!

4 minutes ago, zetetic56 said:

Are you saying that it is possible for the fluid to move relative to the wall and to not have a pressure decrease from the fluid on the wall?

Yes.

I don't think that make sense.

Why not?

33 minutes ago, Genady said:

Why not?

My common sense understanding of Bernoulli's Principle is when a solid moves through a fluid or when a fluid moves through a solid that there is a pressure decrease on that solid body from the fluid.

There are different ways of looking at a rising aircraft wing and one of those ways, I understand, is to look at the greater decrease in pressure pushing down on the top and the lesser decrease in pressure pushing up on the bottom due to the more round top and more flat bottom when the wing moves horizontally.

I don't know much about airplane wings, but if the fluid in the wind tunnel passing by the wing could pass by the wing without having a greater decrease in downward pressure and without having a lesser decrease in upward pressure, I cannot see the mechanics of this lack of an affect could occur.

The reason why I said "it makes no sense to me" is that I cannot see how a moving fluid on along solid could sometimes have an affect (one way of describing a rising airfoil) and could sometimes not have an affect (the circulating fluid moving along the moveable wall to the side).  It seems like Bernoulli's Principle would either just work in each case or not work in each case.  I can't see the logic to distinguish where Bernoulli's Principle of less pressure when the fluid is in motion has an affect on the solid from when it does not have an affect on the solid.

This is where my thinking is at.

Edited by zetetic56

44 minutes ago, zetetic56 said:

My common sense understanding of Bernoulli's Principle is when a solid moves through a fluid or when a fluid moves through a solid that there is a pressure decrease on that solid body from the fluid.

There are different ways of looking at a rising aircraft wing and one of those ways, I understand, is to look at the greater decrease in pressure pushing down on the top and the lesser decrease in pressure pushing up on the bottom due to the more round top and more flat bottom when the wing moves horizontally.

I don't know much about airplane wings, but if the fluid in the wind tunnel passing by the wing could pass by the wing without having a greater decrease in downward pressure and without having a lesser decrease in upward pressure, I cannot not see the mechanics of this lack of an affect could occur.

The reason why I said "it makes no sense to me" is that I cannot see how a moving fluid on along solid could sometimes have an affect (one way of describing a rising airfoil) and could sometimes not an have an affect (the circulating fluid moving along the moveable wall to the side).  It seems like Bernoulli's Principle would either just work in each case or not work in each case.  I can't see the logic to distinguish where Bernoulli's Principle of less pressure when the fluid is in motion has an affect on the solid from when does not have an affect on the solid.

This is where my thinking is at.

About the wing: the point is to create a difference in pressure above and below. The pressure does not need to decrease on both sides. It can stay the same below the wing and decrease above the wing. So, it does not contradict that moving fluid does not necessarily have a decreased pressure.

However, I think that your common sense understanding of Bernoulli's principle is incorrect. There are many solid explanations of it online. There are also various mathematical forms of the Bernoulli equation. E.g.,

image.png.50dc0284513d86a0a0fc3f3e5ea20e0b.png

If a pump makes a work, -ws, then the velocity, V, can change without a change in the pressure, P.

Edited by Genady

12 hours ago, Genady said:

I think you're right and I see where some decrease in pressure above the sinking piston might come from.

Funny, I was thinking maybe you are right and I have been wrong!

At this point I think there is a negative pressure effect above - a negative pressure/suction - but it isn't equal to the pressure increase below. Take a falling weighted piston (thanks) with a tight fit and slow liquid flow past it and that effect will be very small; the growing weight of water above would act more like you said, being (I think) very close to the "normal" static state pressure. Close because I think there is a suction effect, but it is not going to be equal to the positive pressure in a vessel open to air, not without making it a closed vessel. Depth dependent? But I need to think about that some more.

Huh, @zetetic56 's topic has engaged my brain (even though I'm still stuck on the initial scenario) and I am not there yet but I think I will get to some better comprehension in the end.

Edited by Ken Fabian

13 hours ago, Genady said:

However, I think that your common sense understanding of Bernoulli's principle is incorrect.

Maybe.

I understand from looking at, but not studying, the technical aspects of Bernoulli's Principle, that it appears to me there are different ways to think about it and there were probably some early Physics classic debates about it and there may be different technically important ways to understand it.  And all of that is nothing that I know about or understand at all.

I think visually, and here is how I have understood and defined "Bernoulli's Principle" for myself.

sfq19.jpg.73c041c8bcc9c33561dfa2092b5be987.jpg

When fluid moves across the surface of a solid body, the pressure from the fluid on the body decreases.  And the greater the movement the greater the decrease in pressure from the fluid on the body.

This is true when the fluid moves around the body.

sfq20.jpg.4382fba84b472a263ebec3c17e0b3839.jpg

And this is true when the fluid moves through the body.

And the two things above are really just the same thing.

And maybe I'm wrong about this.  This is how I've made the basic idea of Bernoulli's Principle make sense to me.  And even if I'm not wrong about this (and maybe I am) I could still be using the term "Bernoulli's Principle" wrong (and perhaps I'm saying something different).

---

sfq21.jpg.bd546838afb2d728dfaef4ac7a13977b.jpg

When water moves though a pipe with different sized sections, it is my understanding that the fluid will move slower in the larger sections and faster in the smaller sections, and it is my understanding that there is a decrease in pressure with the faster moving fluid, and it is my understanding that the pressure from the fluid on a pressure gauge will show this.

sfq22.jpg.2765c8d64081d8cf763f813b74395d90.jpg

And so the lesser and greater pressures from the fluid do affect the pressure gauge and we get readings.

sfq23.jpg.e629b12a2ea02205e35f1ae0dc5cbf0b.jpg 

And I would expect if there was not a pressure gauge there but a wall that the same decrease in pressure from the moving fluid on the pressure gauge would also be the same decrease in pressure from the fluid on the wall at that exact same spot, as well as an equal decrease in pressure on all the points along the walls.

This is my reasoning.

This is why I think there is decreased pressure on the walls when the fluid moves along the walls.

But, maybe I've gotten far off base here and maybe I'm missing some fundamentals.

Thank you and take care. : ) !!!

---

2 hours ago, Ken Fabian said:

Huh [?]

Where's my delete key?

Some times I find myself in metaphorical loose-orbit around the Moon.  Apologies.

Thank you and take care. : ) !!!

sfq01.jpg.36d6498c5873a06af7dc50771a45ffc6.jpg

The two above pictures are from the Wikipedia page on the "Venturi Effect".  The picture on the right is labeled as a "Venturi Meter".

In the drawing above on the right, the U shaped tube below the pipe is labeled as a "manometer".

And according to Google a "manometer" is defined as: "an instrument for measuring the pressure acting on a column of fluid, especially one with a U-shaped tube of liquid in which a difference in the pressures acting in the two arms of the tube causes the liquid to reach different heights in the two arms."

sfq04.jpg.93eed6608ac0a13ce0cda18b36bd135f.jpg

In that "manometer" there is one fluid (presumable air) pushing down on another fluid (presumable water).  The lesser pressure from the fluid moving faster through the pipe and the greater pressure from that fluid moving slower through the pipe have an affect on the other fluid at the bottom of the U and shift it.

sfq06.jpg.a459fba56bf39115c5d1ac4cbeff2892.jpg

If there were two solid moveable walls resting on the top of the other fluid at the bottom of the pipe, my guess would be that we would get the same affect.

My guess is that the differences in pressures from the fluid would affect a solid they are in contact with just as much as they directly affected the another fluid before the walls were added.

sfq07.jpg.6130f6a0e3d7da0ee6ee7538c717db5c.jpg

And if those moveable walls were moved to the top of the two ends of the "manometer" then I would expect that the lesser pressure in the faster moving fluid and the greater pressure in the slower moving fluid would also affect these solid moveable walls (now in line with the walls of the pipe that the fluid is flowing through).

sfq08.jpg.83d44b96a457db35a489f09c05303bf4.jpg

And so if we removed the "manometer" and fill in the two open ends where the tops of the "manometer" were with just solid walls, then the same lesser and greater pressures from the fluid would also be lesser and greater pressure on the the two fixed in place walls.

This is my reasoning and this is why I believe that when a fluid moves faster through a tube it puts less pressure on the tube's walls while when a fluid moves slower through a tube it puts more pressure on the tube's walls.

I think my logic is right, but perhaps there's some underlying piece of Physics that my uneducated self is missing. ( ? )

Thank you for reading this. : )

And so if we removed the "manometer" and fill in the two open ends where the tops of the "manometer" were with just solid walls, then the same lesser and greater pressures from the fluid would also be lesser and greater pressure on the the two fixed in place walls.

This is correct.

this is why I believe that when a fluid moves faster through a tube it puts less pressure on the tube's walls while when a fluid moves slower through a tube it puts more pressure on the tube's walls.

This does not follow from the preceding paragraph. In the preceding paragraph, the pressure in two points of the same flow is compared. In the latter, two different flow regimes are compared.

6 hours ago, zetetic56 said:

... the same lesser and greater pressures from the fluid would also be lesser and greater pressure on the the two fixed in place walls ...

5 hours ago, Genady said:

This is correct.   ... the pressure in two points of the same flow ...

sfq01.jpg.c7c9fba2c37c946007ff6ecd0ce03c26.jpg

We seem to agree that, just as with pressure gauges, that with fixed walls, that at a point in the smaller tube with the faster moving fluid there will be less pressure from the fluid on the fixed wall while at a point in the larger tube with the slower moving fluid there will be more pressure from the fluid on the fixed wall.

sfq02.jpg.09f45d9f80a2bd8f1a3931a99ea2d40a.jpg

And so the same reasoning would lead to the idea that if we had several pressure gauges at several points then they would all show the lesser and greater amounts of pressures at each of these points, and so we would also have the same lesser and greater amounts of pressures at these same points with fixed walls instead of pressure gauges.

And taking this same logic a step further, we could theoretically have a pressure gauge at every possible point along the fixed walls of the tube and so we would have this same lesser and greater pressures at every point along the fixed walls of the tube themselves.

And so we end up with the logical conclusion: when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid.

Yes?  No?

5 hours ago, Genady said:

... two different flow regimes ...

sfq111.jpg.b145855dcbabbdf672d934ded230c79a.jpg

According to Google the definition of a “flow regime” is “essentially a description of the flow structure, or distribution of one fluid phase relative to the other” and is also referred to as a “flow pattern”.

So in the larger tube we have one “flow regime” and in the smaller tube we have a different “flow regime”.  And if the velocities of the fluid moving through each of the two tube sections are constant and do not change with time, then we have two “steady state” “flow regimes”.  (If i’m using these terms right.)

sfq03.jpg.5f68f2dcd0c4667f226d52ae1ede1787.jpg

And so, if we think in terms of “flow regimes” then it seems like we’d end up with the idea that where two “flow regimes” are different in how fast the fluid moves along the solid boundary walls containing them then the faster the fluid moves the less the pressure from the fluid is on every point of that boundary wall.  (Again, if I’m using these terms right.)

What do ya’ think?  What am I still missing?

sfq01.jpg.c7c9fba2c37c946007ff6ecd0ce03c26.jpg

We seem to agree that, just as with pressure gauges, that with fixed walls, that at a point in the smaller tube with the faster moving fluid there will be less pressure from the fluid on the fixed wall while at a point in the larger tube with the slower moving fluid there will be more pressure from the fluid on the fixed wall.

sfq02.jpg.09f45d9f80a2bd8f1a3931a99ea2d40a.jpg

And so the same reasoning would lead to the idea that if we had several pressure gauges at several points then they would all show the lesser and greater amounts of pressures at each of these points, and so we would also have the same lesser and greater amounts of pressures at these same points with fixed walls instead of pressure gauges.

And taking this same logic a step further, we could theoretically have a pressure gauge at every possible point along the fixed walls of the tube and so we would have this same lesser and greater pressures at every point along the fixed walls of the tube themselves.

And so we end up with the logical conclusion: when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid.

Yes?  No?

sfq111.jpg.b145855dcbabbdf672d934ded230c79a.jpg

According to Google the definition of a “flow regime” is “essentially a description of the flow structure, or distribution of one fluid phase relative to the other” and is also referred to as a “flow pattern”.

So in the larger tube we have one “flow regime” and in the smaller tube we have a different “flow regime”.  And if the velocities of the fluid moving through each of the two tube sections are constant and do not change with time, then we have two “steady state” “flow regimes”.  (If i’m using these terms right.)

sfq03.jpg.5f68f2dcd0c4667f226d52ae1ede1787.jpg

And so, if we think in terms of “flow regimes” then it seems like we’d end up with the idea that where two “flow regimes” are different in how fast the fluid moves along the solid boundary walls containing them then the faster the fluid moves the less the pressure from the fluid is on every point of that boundary wall.  (Again, if I’m using these terms right.)

What do ya’ think?  What am I still missing?

It looks as I misused the term "flow regime". Let's see what we agree on.

When a fluid freely flows in a tube, its pressure on the tube walls in areas with a larger cross-section is higher and its velocity there is slower than its pressure and velocity in areas with a smaller cross-section. 

However, the statement, "when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid" is incorrect. Less than what? Where is a tube with different cross-sections?

16 hours ago, Genady said:

Where is a tube with different cross-sections?

sfq01.jpg.e10ab310be9a673ee44edfd277cb130b.jpg

When a fluid goes from a tube with a larger cross-section into a tube with a smaller cross-section it speeds up.

In Wikipedia it says:

“Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy.”

And so, when a fluid goes from a larger tube to a smaller tube and speeds up there is also a “simultaneous ... decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

sfq02.jpg.506b47343f6198f10a5be712305253cb.jpg

In a wind-tunnel (or a water-tunnel) the fluid can be moved through it slowly or the fluid can be moved through it quickly.  The cross-section of the tube can remain the same, while the fluid moving through it can move slower or faster.  (And we can assume this is done in a way so that the density of the fluid moving at the two different speeds is the same (and so there is no change in pressure from a change in density (mass per unit volume)).)

And given that “Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy”,

This then means when a fluid in a tunnel with one consistent size cross-section is moved faster through that tunnel there is still a “simultaneous ... decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

If I’m reading the Wikipedia Bernoulli quote right, then when we move fluid slower or faster through the one sized wind/water tunnel, if there are pressure gauges on the top of that tunnel, then the readings on these gauges will be more when the fluid is moving slower and the readings on the gauges will be less when the fluid is moving faster.

(?)

sfq03.jpg.9d87203d405c2e844f1979108d4f5c7e.jpg

On the left, the fluid moving faster through the smaller part of the tube will put less pressure on the walls of the tube than the fluid moving through the larger part of the tube.

While, on the right, the same thing occurs, and the fluid moving faster through the tube will put less pressure on the walls of the tube than the fluid moving through the same tube slower.

“[A]n increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy.”  And the “decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy” manifests as a decrease in the pressure from the fluid on the walls of the tube it is moving through.

(Or so I think.)

16 hours ago, Genady said:

[T]he statement, "when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid" is incorrect.

When a fluid is at rest and then is moving at some speed, this is an increase in speed (from 0 to something).

And so when a fluid is moving, as opposed to being at rest, there is “simultaneously ... a decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

sfq04.jpg.885fa932a9125d93cbfed7fc4f6d9e42.jpg

If we think of every point on the tube walls as potential pressure gauges, then “when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid” seems to me to be correct.

But maybe I haven’t made my case, and maybe we still disagree.  (And maybe I’m still getting something wrong.)

(?)

sfq01.jpg.e10ab310be9a673ee44edfd277cb130b.jpg

When a fluid goes from a tube with a larger cross-section into a tube with a smaller cross-section it speeds up.

In Wikipedia it says:

“Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy.”

And so, when a fluid goes from a larger tube to a smaller tube and speeds up there is also a “simultaneous ... decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

sfq02.jpg.506b47343f6198f10a5be712305253cb.jpg

In a wind-tunnel (or a water-tunnel) the fluid can be moved through it slowly or the fluid can be moved through it quickly.  The cross-section of the tube can remain the same, while the fluid moving through it can move slower or faster.  (And we can assume this is done in a way so that the density of the fluid moving at the two different speeds is the same (and so there is no change in pressure from a change in density (mass per unit volume)).)

And given that “Bernoulli's principle states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy”,

This then means when a fluid in a tunnel with one consistent size cross-section is moved faster through that tunnel there is still a “simultaneous ... decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

If I’m reading the Wikipedia Bernoulli quote right, then when we move fluid slower or faster through the one sized wind/water tunnel, if there are pressure gauges on the top of that tunnel, then the readings on these gauges will be more when the fluid is moving slower and the readings on the gauges will be less when the fluid is moving faster.

(?)

sfq03.jpg.9d87203d405c2e844f1979108d4f5c7e.jpg

On the left, the fluid moving faster through the smaller part of the tube will put less pressure on the walls of the tube than the fluid moving through the larger part of the tube.

While, on the right, the same thing occurs, and the fluid moving faster through the tube will put less pressure on the walls of the tube than the fluid moving through the same tube slower.

“[A]n increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure or the fluid's potential energy.”  And the “decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy” manifests as a decrease in the pressure from the fluid on the walls of the tube it is moving through.

(Or so I think.)

When a fluid is at rest and then is moving at some speed, this is an increase in speed (from 0 to something).

And so when a fluid is moving, as opposed to being at rest, there is “simultaneously ... a decrease in static pressure or the fluid’s potential energy”.

sfq04.jpg.885fa932a9125d93cbfed7fc4f6d9e42.jpg

If we think of every point on the tube walls as potential pressure gauges, then “when there is movement of a fluid within a solid body there is less pressure on every point of the surface of the solid body from the fluid” seems to me to be correct.

But maybe I haven’t made my case, and maybe we still disagree.  (And maybe I’m still getting something wrong.)

(?)

You do not read it right. And I am tired of trying to explain it. You should focus on the reasoning rather than on the words. It is a matter of energy conservation, not of interpretation of the words. Good luck!

Edited by Genady