Dissolving pre heated EVA Adhesive

Obba

Hi All,

We had some severe winds a while ago and 5 of my solar panels got blown off and the glass has shattered (and come off in some places), like the car windscreen, little cubes etc.

The glass has been adhererd to the ploy crystals with a sheet of EVA 'glue' - i have heard tha a temperature of 120°C is used for this process.

Since the EVA is a 'chemical', can it be dissolved? Some suggested using thinners - but i'm not sure what to do.

If i used a blow torch would it melt the glue, then pick off the glass?

The panels are 80W and are the BP brand. I actually found the company that sells the EVA sheeting to BP and emailed them for assistance - as they make it, they should know what dissolves it - But after two emails, they will not reply.

So i thought i would ask the experts :)

The panels still work, but only give off one fifth the energy, as i guss the UV is being refracted to the edges of the 'chips' of glass. So it's not going to be a major issue if i damage them anymore - so i am willing to try a few things.

Can anyone throw me some ideas?

Thanks,

Alan.

• 5 years later...

What are you wanting to do. I might be able to offer a suggestion, but I want to make absolutely sure what you are looking for in your end result. Do you want to pull off the glass, Law down a fresh layer of EVA and relaminate the glass atop the UV?

What are you wanting to do. I might be able to offer a suggestion, but I want to make absolutely sure what you are looking for in your end result. Do you want to pull off the glass, Law down a fresh layer of EVA and relaminate the glass atop the UV?

This thread is from 2005. I doubt the help is needed anymore.