Biodeisel

ydoaPs

i am on a commitee to convert our school to biodiesel(more specifically, a council of teachers and students trying to convince the school board). our first meeting is wednesday and i know almost nothing about biodiesel.

so far, i know:

made from soybean oil

cheaper than traditional diesel

renewable, so it will stay cheaper

no need to do anything to your automobile that runs on diesel

we are going to make some as well. it won't be pure enough to use in a truck, though.

since the prices of fossil fuels rise, won't that cause the price of goods that are shipped by truck to rise? if so, biodiesel could help fix that, i think.

anyone know anything about biodiesel?

I know a bit, I've made my own.

if you search google "making biodiesel" there should be some Hong kong website that has lots of info, and some forums around the place.

You can make BD out of almost anyoil afaik.

Veg oil is the normal.

the run down of how its made it as :

Ethanol or methanol (meth is easy)

mix Na(OH) , then add to oil wait.

That is a very basic example.

I've made some using ethanol whihc is harder then methanol due to the amount of water you will have, as Na(OH) with water and oil makes soap. :D

anyway do that searhc and your'll get a shed load of info.

Post away :)

PS there are more then 1 type of BD, oil and white spirts is a strange one, not all engines are ok for this.

But the BD with methanol is fine for all!!

Then there is just straight oil but this can mess up the engine due it being to think.

you are best starting make BD with new oil,

Once you have done this use old oil, whihc does take more work as you get free fatty acids, which the Na(OH) will make nutral. :)

That requires ph testing.