Separation of some legislative powers

StringJunky

Idle thought really: Would it be possible to bar politicians from setting policy on the mechanisms and procedures of government from their real job of governing their country and constituents? I envisage a separate pathway and committees for the maintenance of the government machine. The latter would be staffed by experts in the field. Candidates with nefarious intent wouldn't be able to twiddle with the levers of government to move the goalposts if they get elected.  I'm particularly thinking of voting procedures within government chambers and outside of it in public elections. 

Edited by StringJunky

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I envisage a separate pathway and committees

Where would the committee be drawn from? 

I should think the quickest and simplest way would be to transfer procedural matters to the civil service. And, incidentally, the funding of governance, including the civil service, to an independent accounting body - a check and balance kind of thing. But there are a couple of problems with that solution. First, the change would have to be legislated by those same politicians who thereby lose the control, which they might be reluctant to do, and then pass constitutional challenges. Second, is the civil service efficient enough and does it have the capacity to take on another biggish task?  And who appoints the chief executive of the new agency? Political appointments are already a big problem for most US government agencies. I would much prefer to see promotion from inside the ranks, preferably by secret ballot within the agency.