nETWORK MESSANGER

H2SO4

Try using netsend. This is a default service on most XP machines which is god darn annoying and will at times frighten your friends who don't know about it because it pops right up. Go to the DOS console by typing... Run -> cmd.

Then type in: net send

and follow the instructions, generally you can try it on your own computer. If your computer is called: mycomputer, then type: net send mycomputer hello1234 message

Here's a site on it. Note that some people have developed GUI interfaces to accomodate this net send feature to make sending and receiver much more user friendly.

http://www.lantalk.net/net-send-command/

XP SP2 also disables the Messenger service, you can renable it by selecting run in the start menu > services.msc > finding the Messenger service (just called "Messenger") and starting it, you can also right click > properties and select it to automatically start up with the computer.

I suppose it would be kindof immoral for me to not to point out that this might expose you to popups being sent to you over the net. It certainly happened to me a few times in Win 2k before I turned Messenger off, but if you're behind a firewall you shouldn't have a problem.

Another computer on my LAN has an internal IP of 10.0.0.8 so I type:

net send 10.0.0.8 this is a test

to send a message saying "this is a test" to the computer named 10.0.0.8.... you can try replacing the IP with a * so:

net send * testing

that will send it to your whole network, including yourself.