A Harvard Mathematician Finally Cracked This 150-Year-Old Chess Puzzle

DrmDoc

"A mathematician from Harvard University has (mostly) solved a 150-year-old Queen's gambit of sorts: the delightful n queens puzzle.

In newly self-published research (meaning it has not yet been peer-reviewed), Michael Simkin, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard's Center of Mathematical Sciences and Applications, estimated the solution to the thorny math problem, which is based loosely on the rules of chess."

That quote is from a Popular Mechanic's article on research self-published through Cornell University.  I don't quite understand the math, but I thought it might be an interesting read if only for its references to chess.  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 4:44 AM, DrmDoc said:

"A mathematician from Harvard University has (mostly) solved a 150-year-old Queen's gambit of sorts: the delightful n queens puzzle.

In newly self-published research (meaning it has not yet been peer-reviewed), Michael Simkin, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard's Center of Mathematical Sciences and Applications, estimated the solution to the thorny math problem, which is based loosely on the rules of chess."

That quote is from a Popular Mechanic's article on research self-published through Cornell University.  I don't quite understand the math, but I thought it might be an interesting read if only for its references to chess.  Enjoy!

Great news

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.