A genetics situation

JelloFish

I was scrolling through some old notes, and i've came accross a situation that was described during a genetics webinar. I've introduced it to many colleagues and i've surprisingly received very different feedbacks. I though sharing it here in the forum might lead me to a clearer vision on how the situation could be solved:

You have identified a new, previously unknown eukaryotic organism.

a) First, you decoded the DNA sequence of the gene 'Y'. Now you want to determine the exon-intron structure of the gene. Describe your approach.

b) Second, you found that gene Y encodes a protein with a homeodomain. Make a hypothesis about the molecular function of the protein.

c) Third, you want to test your hypothesis (molecular function of the protein). Describe your approach.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

What have you got so far?

Why is this situation now classified in the homework help thread? Very interesting...I should have stopped from spreading it out of my colleagues circle cause now "understanding things" can be badly misinterpreted. First and last post.