How to read research paper, textbook, long text content?

shivajikobardan

I can read less text content easily. my way of reading it is to make slides of all those texts and learn from the slides.

But I have issue with reading huge huge texts as you know in this case it will require too much time when I do this. Is there way to simplify this reading style?

eg-: of sth that I want to read is this.

https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/gfs-sosp2003.pdf

It takes me 45 minutes to read 3 paragraph and comprehend it at least.

If I go that way, you can imagine, how long it takes me to read a research paper. Probably a week to read a research paper lol. Even reading articles in internet is a hassle for me if they are longer. If I just read what I need to learn it is easy as it will be few paragraphs but if I have to learn sth else long it is pain to me as I can't do it timely manner.

Are there any udemy courses that teach how to read textbooks for university students that you are aware of? 

8 hours ago, shivajikobardan said:

It takes me 45 minutes to read 3 paragraph and comprehend it at least.

If a research paper is good, this is about the right amount of time. Comprehending a good research paper should take time.

However, my experience is from different fields than yours, so maybe it doesn't apply.

I should think a textbook, small or huge, is not read continuously like a novel, but one lesson at a time, taking notes all the while, presumably following a lecture and followed by a discussion, each accompanied by notes.

A research paper would serve a different purpose and would be read as background to course material. I wouldn't read it sequentially, but in sections. Read the abstract: that tells you the reason a study, experiment or project was done, on what, in what existing conditions, with what limitations, in what framework, and what it aims to accomplish. After that, you don't necessarily have to understand every single paragraph. What do you need to know?  Scan the introduction and look at the table of contents, if there is one. What are you going to use from this paper, and what will you use it for? Once you figured that out, you can pick out the relevant sections; scan or browse the intervening parts and study more intensely the sections that relate to your own work. 

Edited by Peterkin
left out some words