Unprecedented Massive Black Hole in Leo1 Satellite Galaxy:

beecee

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-astronomers-strangely-massive-black-hole.html

Astronomers discover strangely massive black hole in Milky Way satellite galaxy:

Astronomers at The University of Texas at Austin's McDonald Observatory have discovered an unusually massive black hole at the heart of one of the Milky Way's dwarf satellite galaxies, called Leo I. Almost as massive as the black hole in our own galaxy, the finding could redefine our understanding of how all galaxies—the building blocks of the universe—evolve. The work is published in a recent issue of The Astrophysical Journal.

The team decided to study Leo I because of its peculiarity. Unlike most dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way, Leo I does not contain much dark matter. Researchers measured Leo I's dark matter profile—that is, how the density of dark matter changes from the outer edges of the galaxy all the way into its center. They did this by measuring its gravitational pull on the stars: The faster the stars are moving, the more matter there is enclosed in their orbits. In particular, the team wanted to know whether dark matter density increases toward the galaxy's center. They also wanted to know whether their profile measurement would match previous ones made using older telescope data combined with computer models.

more at link..............

the paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-4357/ac0c79

Dynamical Analysis of the Dark Matter and Central Black Hole Mass in the Dwarf Spheroidal Leo I:

Abstract

We measure the central kinematics for the dwarf spheroidal galaxy Leo I using integrated-light measurements and previously published data. We find a steady rise in the velocity dispersion from 300'' into the center. The integrated-light kinematics provide a velocity dispersion of 11.76 ± 0.66 km s−1 inside 75''. After applying appropriate corrections to crowding in the central regions, we achieve consistent velocity dispersion values using velocities from individual stars. Crowding corrections need to be applied when targeting individual stars in high-density stellar environments. From integrated light, we measure the surface brightness profile and find a shallow cusp toward the center. Axisymmetric, orbit-based models measure the stellar mass-to-light ratio, black hole mass, and parameters for a dark matter halo. At large radii it is important to consider possible tidal effects from the Milky Way, so we include a variety of assumptions regarding the tidal radius. For every set of assumptions, models require a central black hole consistent with a mass (3.3 ± 2) × 106 M⊙. The no-black-hole case for any of our assumptions is excluded at over 95% significance, with 6.4 < Δχ2 < 14. A black hole of this mass would have significant effects on dwarf galaxy formation and evolution. The dark halo parameters are heavily affected by the assumptions for the tidal radii, with the circular velocity only constrained to be above 30 km s−1. Reasonable assumptions for the tidal radius result in stellar orbits consistent with an isotropic distribution in the velocities. These more realistic models have little need for a dark matter halo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.