Cosmetic Chemical Advice

LouieShill

Hi All

I hope you're well, firstly I'd like to say thank you for having me here I have gone through some of the threads & I'm confident I'm in the correct place for the advice I seek:

So to give some context, I purchased my daughters some new makeup from Cosmetify & It came & out of curiosity i was going through some of it & I had an idea that me & my friend could create a new makeup brand similar to www.cosmetify.com.

ith no potent chemicals (especially for all daughters) but this is where I'm looking for advice:

What would be a safe & reliable chemical with similar properties to dioxane?

I'm looking tov avoid any carcinogens to avoid any formaldehyde will this be possible? as I do not want to be promoting any cancerous products.

Also any tips in the cosmetic industry would be greatly appreciated.

Once again thank you & I look forward to your replies.

Yours

L

38 minutes ago, LouieShill said:

Hi All

I hope you're well, firstly I'd like to say thank you for having me here I have gone through some of the threads & I'm confident I'm in the correct place for the advice I seek:

So to give some context, I purchased my daughters some new makeup from Cosmetify & It came & out of curiosity i was going through some of it & I had an idea that me & my friend could create a new makeup brand similar to www.cosmetify.com.

ith no potent chemicals (especially for all daughters) but this is where I'm looking for advice:

I'm looking tov avoid any carcinogens to avoid any formaldehyde will this be possible? as I do not want to be promoting any cancerous products.

Yours

L

Why would you want anything with similar properties to dioxane? So far as I am aware, dioxane is not used to make cosmetics. Trace levels (<10ppm) can sometimes be present, as a byproduct of the manufacturing process for some of the other ingredients, but it seems to serve no purpose in cosmetics.   

1 hour ago, LouieShill said:

Hi All

Yours

L

You are quite right to be concerned.

Dioxanes are not a single compound but a class or group of them.

Since the 1960s regulatory bodies have been steadily cutting back on what is allowed as more and more (potnetially) harmful effects are discovered, especially with the halogenated (chlorinated) ones.

I would think the one you are describing here is 1, 4-dioxane or dioxan, which is banned in Canada, but definitely still used in the US.

https://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/14-dioxane/

Here are some less desirable ones, used for herbicides, pesticides, funcicides and bactericides.

What exactly are you using them for ?

dioxans.thumb.jpg.738975a236b43f35aaccc6b32ca0a52b.jpg

1 hour ago, studiot said:

You are quite right to be concerned.

Dioxanes are not a single compound but a class or group of them.

Since the 1960s regulatory bodies have been steadily cutting back on what is allowed as more and more (potnetially) harmful effects are discovered, especially with the halogenated (chlorinated) ones.

I would think the one you are describing here is 1, 4-dioxane or dioxan, which is banned in Canada, but definitely still used in the US.

https://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/14-dioxane/

Here are some less desirable ones, used for herbicides, pesticides, funcicides and bactericides.

What exactly are you using them for ?

dioxans.thumb.jpg.738975a236b43f35aaccc6b32ca0a52b.jpg

Hang on, that's about dioxins, not dioxane. They are quite different, surely. 

Edited by exchemist

4 hours ago, exchemist said:

Hang on, that's about dioxins, not dioxane. They are quite different, surely. 

Yes you are correct dioxins are different but are they quite different ?

Dioxanes have one (saturated) cycle formed by the links through two oxygens connecting two aliphatic chains.

Dioxins have two oxygen links connecting two aromatic rings as in the diagram, and the dioxon concerned is also chlorinated.

I did say

5 hours ago, studiot said:

So here are the formula for 1,4 dioxan and its isomers

Dioxane_isomers_named.PNG.5827e51ff5beacc12870c36a5972bd51.PNG

Wiki also says pretty much what I said in the other link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dioxane#Cosmetics

12 minutes ago, studiot said:

Yes you are correct dioxins are different but are they quite different ?

Dioxanes have one (saturated) cycle formed by the links through two oxygens connecting two aliphatic chains.

Dioxins have two oxygen links connecting two aromatic rings as in the diagram, and the dioxon concerned is also chlorinated.

I did say

So here are the formula for 1,4 dioxan and its isomers

Dioxane_isomers_named.PNG.5827e51ff5beacc12870c36a5972bd51.PNG

Wiki also says pretty much what I said in the other link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dioxane#Cosmetics

Well pretty different, it seems to me. Dioxins, being aromatic, are chemically related to phenols, while dioxane is an ether. Dioxins are persistent pollutants while dioxane biodegrades. Dioxins bioaccumulate, whereas dioxane apparently doesn't. These differences in behaviour are presumably related to dioxane being water soluble while dioxins are lipid soluble.

18 minutes ago, studiot said:

So would you rub 1.4 dioxane on your face ?

I don't follow you. Dioxane is present in some cosmetic preparations, at <10ppm. At that concentration, yes, I would rub it on my face without worrying too much. Except that, being a bloke, I don't use cosmetics......... unless you count shaving lotion.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

Except that, being a bloke, I don't use cosmetics......... unless you count shaving lotion.

Fair point, I wasn't implying any disrespect.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

I don't follow you. Dioxane is present in some cosmetic preparations, at <10ppm. At that concentration, yes, I would rub it on my face without worrying too much.

So what do you make of this ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/chemical-substances/challenge/batch-7/1-4-dioxane.html