wood material pH

Fatima

Hi,

Please share with me all you know about wood material pH!!

Do you have any idea about wood material pH and what factors can affect wood material pH. How important you think is wood material pH for real life applications? 

Also could you advise best instrument to measure wood material surface pH

I am interested in wood types: birch, alder and aspen and what affects their pH. 

Please find attached the kind of veneer I have in mind for example to test pH

samples.png

1 hour ago, Fatima said:

Hi,

Please share with me all you know about wood material pH!!

Do you have any idea about wood material pH and what factors can affect wood material pH. How important you think is wood material pH for real life applications? 

Also could you advise best instrument to measure wood material surface pH

I am interested in wood types: birch, alder and aspen and what affects their pH. 

Please find attached the kind of veneer I have in mind for example to test pH

samples.png

I don't know anything about this myself, but I did find this article by a wood panel manufacturer, who talks about the effect of pH of the wood on curing of adhesives:https://www.wbpionline.com/features/ph-and-why-you-need-to-know-it/ 

If you are interested in veneers, it occurs to me that you too may be concerned with adhesives.  

Is this a school project ?

Exchemist is quite right to look at gluing characteristics as glues are affected by pH.  +1

However to start at the beginning.

Plant fibre is composed of two natural polymers.  Cellulose and Lignin.

Both are neutral pH substances. But the water, salts and resins in wood make the natural wood somewhat acid.
As the wood is seasoned it dries and the pH becomes less acid. But the natural acidity can return if the moisture in the wood increases again.

On effect of the acidity is that nails etc will rust in wood.

That is enough to be going on with until you describe your project and what you have found out for yourself.