Partial Reprogramming and Rejuvenation

Megatherium0

Can someone explain me some studies I saw about partial reprogramming and rejuvenation?.

In Vivo Amelioration of Age-Associated Hallmarks by Partial Reprogramming - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5679279/

Multi-omic rejuvenation of human cells by maturation phase transient reprogramming - https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.15.426786v1.full

Is there anything in the first research that suggest that the rejuvenation that you get from partial reprogramming need constant maintenance(constant treatment) in order to endure? or that the results are permanent and will change only as a result of normal aging?. What the second research say about it?. And what kinds of aging related damage does partial reprogramming can reverse according to the second research?.

I don't have a degree or any significant knowledge in biology so I hope someone will explain me those studies in more simple words.

Edited by Megatherium0

Just found an answer about the endurance of the results from partial reprogramming:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11357-021-00358-6
in "Table 1 Studies of partial epigenetic reprogramming" there is a table with experiment on partial reprogramming and the duration of their effects and in most cases the effects only lasted for several days.

Now I have a different question, is there anything in this article that suggest a possible reason for why those changes doesn't last? or a way to make those changes permanent?. The article does say that partial reprogramming hold a great promise for treating aging, and it also suggest the following:
"A suggestion is an approach similar to the one shown by Ocampo et al. [28], but with the inclusion of a treatment that enhances genome stability during the absence of pluripotency factor expression. Short expression of pluripotency factors followed by administration of metformin, rapamycin, or even resveratrol would slightly flip the epigenetic landscape followed by the formation of deeper grooves. Perhaps this procedure would both improve lifespan extension and hinder the development of cancer and senescent cells.".
does this have anything to do with making the results of the partial reprogramming more permanent?.

• 4 weeks later...

I was dwelling on this research back in 2012, but Salk has not made any progress since then. The idea is they used a tet-casette method for the genomically  modified mice to activate the Yamanaka factor genes to induce partial reprogramming to the muscle cells. One problem I can think of is it could turn into teratoma, but they mentioned low dosage on the doxycycline and inject once every week or two days. On top of that they have only experimented on mice with progeria = =. You could use a set of cell signaling molecules to activate the Yamanaka factors, such as BMP4, Nodal, Activin, etc, but if it does not turn into teratoma, or you got the timing right, then we will get into it = =. Right now some Russian group took over, called the Youthful Genetics(or something similar), you can track their progress on Facebook.

P.S. Aging is a one direction thing, you can brake it, but you cannot go in reverse direction without unwinding(driving backwards).