Neuropsychiatry Behind the Perception of Reflective Surfaces

Generally, when we look at a mirror, we do not attribute a color to it. That is because we are not thinking of the mirror as we look at it, but rather whatever it is we are using the mirror to reflect; therefore, to us, the mirror is the color of whatever it is we're using it to observe. However, presume you had a flawlessly polished ball of some aluminum or chromium alloy; one would generally agree, observing this ball, that it is grayish/silverish in color. However, upon closer inspection, it would be revealed that, much like a mirror, it simply reflects all colors around it, also simply being whatever color it is used to observe. If the mirror and the aluminum alloy were to swap roles suddenly, would we unquestioningly attribute no color to the alloy, and upon cursory assessment attribute a grayish/silverish color to the mirror? Either way, what is the cause of this phenomenon, neuropsychiatrically and biochemically speaking?

Our brain works hard to maintain color constancy. Some mechanisms are known, I believe, but as a whole is still subject to investigation. I assume that similar mechanisms are at play at reflective surfaces, colours are intepreted based on context. If we see a perfect reflection we interpret the reflected object, but seeing the object in isolation we interpret its surface instead. There may be other mechanisms at play as part of scene recognition, but this is way outside of any of my expertise.