Ali_00

Which is the most suitable technique? (Genetics)

Hi everyone! First of all I would like to thank whoever is reading this!

Back to my homework, for genetics I have to choose the most suitable technique to detect a 1'5 kb deletion which affects an intron and an exon (not entirely). I thought about doing FISH but someone told me that the resolution is not suitable for this deletion and, to be honest, I'm completely lost. I thought about doing MLPA or array CGH, but I'm not confident at all.

If someone could help me find the best technique I would be extremely grateful, as I've spent 3 days thinking and doing research about it and I'm still lost.

PD. Sorry for my poor English! Hope I made myself clear!

PD2. Stay safe!

PD3. Or maybe I could use PCR + electrophoresis?

Edited by Ali_00

2 hours ago, Ali_00 said:

Or maybe I could use PCR + electrophoresis?

That could work, if you use the right primers, of course. There are multiple ways to approach this issue all with different advantages and disadvantages. It also depends a bit on the subject. But given the details you have provided I would not see why a PCR would not work.

Edit: It would not work if you for some reasons a mixed sample, for instance.

7 minutes ago, CharonY said:

That could work, if you use the right primers, of course. There are multiple ways to approach this issue all with different advantages and disadvantages. It also depends a bit on the subject a bit. But given the details you have provided I would not see why a PCR would not work.

Ok! Thank you so so much!