Home made HHO generator

Daan

Hello everyone,

Today I made my own HHO generator. I tested it and used table salt as an electrolyte. I was amazed by the amount of gas the generator produced. I then decided to check if the generator was not short circuiting my positive and negetive from my 12v battery and then I saw that it does short circuit. Is that normal or did I do something wrong? Before I tested the generator it did not short circuit and now I drained the water from the generator it does not short circuit but it has a resistance of 300 ohm between the 2 terminals. Can someone explain why this is happening?

Another thing I noticed was that the water had a weird green substance in it after the elecrolysis. Is there a reason for this aswell?

Thanks in advance!

16053781333418908692375951145657.jpg

Edited by Daan

10 minutes ago, Daan said:

Another thing I noticed was that the water had a weird green substance in it after the elecrolysis. Is there a reason for this aswell?

Similar to this?

Copper(II)_hydroxide.JPG.5f6c5f1e07aae2ba823da57cef612387.JPG (Copper Hydroxide)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_hydroxide

" Alternatively, copper hydroxide is readily made by electrolysis of water (containing a little electrolyte such as sodium sulfate, or magnesium sulfate) with a copper anode. "

..or this?

333662811_copperchloride.jpg.d6edd6d5a9e17d62b682ec04f5357a54.jpg (Copper Chloride)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_chloride

"Electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride with copper electrodes produces (among other things) a blue-green foam that can be collected and converted to the hydrate."

Wires are usually made of Copper.

18 hours ago, Sensei said:

Similar to this?

Copper(II)_hydroxide.JPG.5f6c5f1e07aae2ba823da57cef612387.JPG (Copper Hydroxide)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_hydroxide

" Alternatively, copper hydroxide is readily made by electrolysis of water (containing a little electrolyte such as sodium sulfate, or magnesium sulfate) with a copper anode. "

..or this?

333662811_copperchloride.jpg.d6edd6d5a9e17d62b682ec04f5357a54.jpg (Copper Chloride)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_chloride

"Electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride with copper electrodes produces (among other things) a blue-green foam that can be collected and converted to the hydrate."

Wires are usually made of Copper.

It did not look like either one if these. It looked more like some algae in the water.

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Then make a photo and attach in reply..

I tested it again and this time it looked a bit different.

What I am also wondering if it is normal that when I connect the second terminal to the generator the sparks are flying. I connect a 12v car battery with jumper cables to the generator and those cables get a bit warm. Is that because its pulling to much amps?

20201115_170253.jpg

45 minutes ago, Daan said:

What I am also wondering if it is normal that when I connect the second terminal to the generator the sparks are flying. I connect a 12v car battery with jumper cables to the generator and those cables get a bit warm. Is that because its pulling to much amps?

There are sparks because large current is passing through this mixture. It is caused by large amount of metal ions.

Use multimeter and tell what is amperage..

18 hours ago, Sensei said:

Use multimeter and tell what is amperage..

So I checked with a multimeter and I think the amperage is more than 10A. My multimeter is fused at 10A and the fuse burnt... I don't think this is normal or is it?

Edited by Daan

I bought a new fuse for my multimeter and decided to measure it again. This time I didn't use table salt but I used cleaning Soda. I measured between 6 and 13 amps depending on the amount of soda. after I produced 1 liter of hydrogen gas I drained the water from the generator and this time it was black and some sort of steam came out. Is this because I used soda instead of table salt?

1 hour ago, Daan said:

after I produced 1 liter of hydrogen gas I drained the water from the generator and this time it was black

Black power at the bottom might be Copper (II) Oxide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_oxide

Unlike other copper compounds (except e.g. Copper (I) Oxide) it is not soluble in water.

Clean it, dry it, and use HCl with it. Which should result in making CuCl2 and change color to greenish-bluish (like on the above photos). If it is Copper (II) Oxide.