Mythbusters--SFN Computer Sciences Style

Rasori

I figured it'd be nice to have a thread that analyzed all the myths about computers (be it hardware, software, OS, shopping, etc) and find out which are right and which are wrong. More importantly, to find out which are right and which are wrong and why they are that way.

First, to post some rules. We want this thread to be as clean as possible. That means that if someone posts a decision on a myth that you disagree with, send them a private message. Tell them your point of view and tell them why you see it that way. They may agree with you, or they may not--that argument will occur in private messages. This requires participation on both sides--the would-be corrector has to discuss it in private, and the would-be answerer has to be willing to correct their answer if it is wrong. It'd be nice if we got facts on here, rather than opinions.

Also, in order to keep a nice order to things, any myth that someone wishes to post, I propose it be sent to me and I will thus edit the post--this way, we get one continuous post on all of the myths we have (much easier to understand, as one can then do a ctrl+f search and find the answer to the myth they are interested throughout the rest of the thread). If you send a myth, tell me if you want to be acknowledged for submitting it, and I will put your name in parenthesis before or after the myth (yet to decide which is better). I also suggest that all answerers edit their posts to add new answers, rather than posting new posts. This will allow a fewer number of searches.

Answering format should be pretty simple: just put the number of the myth and then your answer. Skip a line between answers (like I am doing between paragraphs here). Numbering format should be "(#)". This will allow someone to search for their myth number without getting other numbers confused (example: a myth number that was just "a" would also pick up "aa", but "(a)" would not.) Always include examples if the myth is false--you only need one example to prove something false--and always try to back up your answers if the myth is true. If a myth includes a variable--indicated by parenthesis--then fill in the variable if the answer you wish to give is true. I think most of these will, however, be conditional. For example, if you're looking for gaming then this processor is better, but otherwise the other one is more worth it or something like that.

For those who wish to search for their answers, just do ctrl+f to bring up a search function. Click the box and then put the number of your myth inside parenthesis--"(" and ")"--and click find or hit enter. That will find your answer.

And now, the myths:

Myth: Never unplug a running USB device.

Category: Accessories and Hardware

Details: Unplugging a USB device that is running can cause loss of data or damage to the device.

Myth: Only expensive surge protectors are useful.

Category: Accessories

Details: Only expensive surge protectors are capable of preventing a surge from affecting a computer.

Myth: Surge protectors are a must.

Category: Accessories

Details: Not plugging your computer into a surge protector can result in disastrous consequences for your computer.

Myth: Building a computer is cheap.

Category: Building

Details: Building your own computer is always more cost-effective than buying a computer.

Myth: Never buy a name brand computer.

Category: Buying

Details: Never buy a brand name computer; you will be charged for the name and not the computer.

Myth: One processor is better than others.

Category: Hardware

Details: One brand of processor is always better than a comparable processor from another brand.

Myth: Defrag and Disk Cleanup aren’t useful.

Category: Maintenance

Details: Defragmenting and Disk Cleanup have little or no effect on the running speed of your computer.

Myth: “Dry” shut-downs are harmful.

Details: Shutting down a computer by pressing the power button on your tower can cause hardware problems.

Myth: Equipment needs to be shut down.

Details: Leaving a monitor/tower/both on for long periods of time is harmful.

Myth: Magnetic interference is a major problem.

Details: Things such as modems, zip disks, floppy disks, and others should be kept away from monitors, speakers, and towers because they can be affected by the magnets.

Myth: Turning PCs on and off often affects lifespan.

Details: Turning PCs on and off repeatedly can affect the hardware and essentially kill the computer.

Myth: Wireless networking is unstable.

Category: Networking

Details: Wireless networking is unstable and can fail in such minute situations as a microwave turning on.

Myth: One OS is better than another.

Category: OS

Details: One OS is better at all things than any other OS.

Myth: PCs are power-intensive.

Category: Other

Details: PCs use enough power that it can save noticeable amounts of money to turn them off when not in use.

Myth: DOS is the window into a Windows computer.

Category: Security

Details: If you know how to use DOS well, you can hack into and ruin a computer running on Windows.

Myth: Spyware is installed by anti-spyware.

Category: Security

Details: Anti-spyware programs actually install spyware in your system.

Myth: Hard drive space affects running speed.

Category: Speed

Details: The amount of space left on your hard drive is proportional to the speed with which your computer runs.

Myth: Start-up takes a long time.

Category: Speed

Details: Computers have trouble starting up if they’ve been down for a long time.

Anti-spyware programs actually install spyware in your system.

Unfortunately, this isnt the complete myth that you'd think it is. There are loads of applications that claim to be anti-[acr=spyware, adware, diallers etc; malware that is not a virus, worm or trojan]slyware[/acr] programs, but which actually install slyware onto your computer in order to then 'find' it and offer to remove it if you pay $x for the full version.

a comprehensive list of know crappy anti-slyware applications is here.

The more famouse anti-slywares -- ad-aware, spybot, ms antispyware, spysweeper, counter spy, spyware doctor, pestpatrol etc etc -- don't install slyware.

I think this is only really useful if you go on to explain the myths, FAQ-style. Many of the myths listed do reflect real-world issues, they're just not the issues that the user typically thinks they are.

For example, Myth #15 is true -- when a computer is sitting idle it doesn't consume much power -- but that little factoid often leads to misunderstandings about power consumption, which can lead to costly errors in judgement, such as users donating time to distributing computing projects like Folding@Home or SETI@Home and then wondering why their energy bill is $300 higher at the end of the year.

It's an interesting idea, though. Might be a good idea for a Wiki.

The problem is there are so many possibilities. For example:

Myth 4: Different OS's are better for different things so you can never say one is always better than other because EVERY situation is differnt. - And if anyone says win XP is ALWAYS better than Linux on the desktop or any other situation for any reason esspecially compatibility you really need to get out more and do some research.

Myth 16: on the other hand is partially true as most hard disks have a specified number of times they should be spun up before they are very likely to die... But that isn't the death of a computer...

Myths 3 and 4 are quite tough to answer, yes. I think the main body of the post (before the myths) was more scanned than read, however. I wasn't claiming that these were all untrue myths. The point of the thread is essentially to be a wiki--people answer the myths listed in order to create a reference guide for anyone interested in these questions. No offense meant, Pangloss, but you seem to have scanned the myths rather than the rest of the post. As for there being many possibilities--that's why it's not made for only one person to answer. Those that have many possibilities are the ones that will require in-depth answers (for example, the best way to answer 3 and 4 is likely to say "Processor/OS" is good at this but bad at that, while "OtherProcessor/OtherOS" isn't great at this but is good at that, and repeat that for at least the more common brands.) 3 and 4 were really made to get rid of misconceptions that people might have (like "Mac is teh suxx0rz") and elaborate on the abilities of different processors and operating systems.

It wont work like a wiki, due to the fact that we lose the ability to go back and edit posts after 360 minutes.

Or at-least, it wont work as a wiki without the cooperation of a mod

No offense meant, Pangloss, but you seem to have scanned the myths rather than the rest of the post.

Really. Oddly enough, I feel mildly offended anyway. Oh well.

Anyway, why don't you take a couple of points from that list and flesh them out the way you think they should develop. Give us some fully formed examples of what you're looking for. The content doesn't matter, it can be "pernacios hornblowers" if you like.

One thing that might be useful would be to set up a unified header for each entry, like this:

Name: (Give it a contextual name for discussion reference)

Type: (This could be hardware, software, operating systems, applications, etc)

Severity: (Set up a rating system; maybe run a poll)

More?

And drop a note to an admin and see if you can have the edit delay turned off for a specific thread.

Discussion should probably take place in a separate thread from "the list". But I do like the idea of having it in the discussion board rather than actual wiki software, because the purpose is discussion, rather than FAQ. But it's also conceivable that the list could be constructed or added into a wiki down the road.

myth 13:

It matters what type of USB device your running. If its not "hot swappable" then no, you should unplug or plug in a usb device on a booted computer. Epecialy while transfereing data between both devices.

i dont know about myth one, but myth two is definately right, just based on economics.

when selling a computer they have to account for all of their costs. one of those costs is labor. if you put it together yourself there is far less labor for you to pay for.

Now that I re-read your first post Pangloss, I understand it better. Excuse the confusion.

Let me come up with an example. Most/all of the myths I've posted I can't answer as fully as I'd like to, so I'll just make up something and an answer (excuse the extreme oddity that will probably occur). I plan to reformat the myths in a way similar to what Pangloss suggested, and this will show what I mean.

Myth: Cats are smart.

Category: (this will indeed be Hardware/Software/OS/etc) Animals

Details: (this is just expanding on the Myth.) Cats understand that their owners will feed them and clean up after them, and they've learned that they don't need to do anything for their owners to do this. Cats are smart enough to take advantage of their owners like that.

Answer to Myth: Cats are smart. (Animals)

Cats indeed are smart--not that they could necessarily create cold fusion or even just do math, but they have an intelligence uncommon in domesticated animals. It has been proven that cats enticed into walking through a maze memorize the maze in two times, rather than the ten times common in rats and the whopping 50 times that it takes dogs. (I'm not a cat-lover myself, but they are much smarter than dogs lol)

As for a really basic template for myth and answer submission:

Myth submission:

Myth: (Quick summary of myth)

Category: (Hardware, Software, OS, Networking, Accessories, Buying, Building, Security, Speed, Other)

Details: (Full myth, making the first line clearer)

Answer submission:

Answer to Myth: (First line of myth being answered)

(Answer)

myth 13:

It matters what type of USB device your running. If its not "hot swappable" then no' date=' you should unplug or plug in a usb device on a booted computer. Epecialy while transfereing data between both devices.[/quote']

oops, i mean you shouldnt if it isnt hotswappable.