Copper Effects on Plants

Andrew333

Hi, I'm in 12th grade and for my senior project I am doing an observation on the effects copper would have on plant growth. I have used copper sulfate to create increasing concentrations of copper in which I used to water my test plants. 

What I need some help on is whether copper sulfate can or should have been used in order to test the effects that copper has on the plants. After further research of lately, I found that copper sulfate not only has copper but I've read that it contains sulfur as well. I believe this would ruin the purpose of my experiment as the sulfur may effect the plants.

I would appreciate any assistance from someone who has more knowledge on this topic. 

Thank you very much.

You could do with finding a single chelated copper fertiliser. This is  a kind of copper that is bound to an organic molecule which is easy for the plant to uptake. What you want is copper EDTA (copper Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid ).

Fertilizers
Metal chelate compounds are common components of fertilizers to provide micronutrients. These micronutrients (manganese, iron, zinc, copper) are required for the health of the plants. Most fertilizers contain phosphate salts that, in the absence of chelating agents, typically convert these metal ions into insoluble solids that are of no nutritional value to the plants. EDTA is the typical chelating agent that keeps these metal ions in a soluble form.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation

Edited by StringJunky