H2O removal from saturated KOH?

tinrat

Hello e everyone. I’m a noob and have limited chemistry education. I am learning the process to manufacture biodiesel. I have in my possession two 50 pound containers of  Potassium Hydroxide (originally in flake fom). Unfortunately the flakes have sat a long time and have become saturated in liquid of which I believe Is water. My question is how do you remove the water from the potassium hydroxide? I have knowledge of the fact that water can be boiled at room temperature under a vacuum. So if I place the saturated potassium hydroxide under a vacuum will I remove the water and am I doing anything that could be potentially dangerous i.e. explosive or creating a chemical I wish not to create?

Edited by tinrat
Spelling

For what purpose is the KOH. In the next process do  the water disturbs? 

It is at least very difficult to dry KOH. Beside water also carbon dioxide will absorb and form potassiumcarbonate.

Edited by chenbeier

I’m wanting to use the KOH as catalyst in biodiesel production. I’m told water interferes with the triglyceride breakdown reaction. Less water more biodiesel and less undesirable byproducts. I hoped that somebody with good chemistry knowledge could give me some insight as to whether my idea is practical. I had also read somewhere that heat dehydration works but I believe that I can speed up the process via vacuum.