Comp Sci in the RAF or as a civilian?

BillyPr

Hi! I'm currently nearing completion of my Foundation Degree in Computer Science here in the UK, and I've narrowed my choices down to two paths - RAF or working with a local company. I was wondering if anyone here works, or knows someone who works in the RAF and knows a little more about the culture there, it would be super helpful and greatly appreciated! The wages definitely aren't as good after putting them through this salary calculator takes tax and NI and gives you all the numbers you could possibly want, but living on a military base I've heard is almost ridiculously inexpensive. If anyone could tell me more it would help tons! 

Cheers! ^_^

living on a military base I've heard is almost ridiculously inexpensive.

Yes I have heard that too. They pay for your accommodation, food, training etc. 

Working in computer science as a civilian has advantages too. Most of the larger companies Apple, Microsoft etc own (or part own) eLearning platforms (linkedin, udemy etc) which allows you and your family to learn anything for free. They will also contribute to your internet bills if you choose to work from home and you will be allowed to travel all of the time. My brother spends all his time travelling the world and working remotely. They will also pay for your food in you work on campus and provide uniforms. 

The RAF won't allow you to travel unless it is to war etc so if you want to travel being a civilian is the way to go. The RAF will ensure you keep yourself fit though and might be more interesting since you have access to military tech and might teach you to fly. You should look into GCHQ/Navy too I would imagine they have some cool tech to keep you interested. 

In terms of money the only real benefit of the RAF is the accommodation which you probably won't use if you ever get married.