Were the London Bombers "Terrorists"?

Pangloss

Were the London bombers "terrorists"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Were the London bombers "terrorists"?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

I think that it was the US the organized the bombing, hoping to cause some british patriots to turn pro on the Iraqi war. It's all a political game, and the lives of innocent people don't seem to manner. We're all just assets to the higher powers.

what, after we'd had the war and after we'd finished complaining loudly about it.

still, i suppose bush was in the area, and i doubt that anyone searched him :rolleyes:

have they actually established which group was responcable yet?

still' date=' i suppose bush [i']was[/i] in the area, and i doubt that anyone searched him :rolleyes:

have they actually established which group was responcable yet?

who'd search the president of the united states of america? He has never done anything wrong

I don't kow if they said for sure yet, but I still have heard Al Quida quite a bit.

I have voted ''I'm not sure". This seems to me the only viable vote at this stage. We do not know the precise motivations of the group who carried out the bombings. The two broad motives would be

a) Revenge/punishment

b) Promote a political change

If their motives are b) they are terrorists, if a) they are thugs.

i dont like that definition of terrorism much...

i would define terrorism as any act of war that is designed to incite fear as opposed to achieving a military goal. bombing the subway isnt going to help this group take over england. it was just meant to incite fear in the people and send a message.

i say its terrorism.

Arguably, many petty criminals incite fear into people by, say, repeatedly throwing bricks and soforth through the windows of people's houses. I'd say that this fits your description - acts of violence designed to incite fear - but I'd hardly call those sort of people terrorists.

Personally I would say that a lot of these attacks are designed not only to incite fear, but encourage the political parties to do certain things. A good example is the Madrid bombings, which caused Spain to pull out of Iraq.

sigh....

god bless symantics.

will changing that to "act of violence" remove such problems?

No. For the reasons Dave has pointed out.

Also, it seems rather petty to express exasperation at the application of semantics in relation to a definition. In other circumstances I might have let it pass. Do you actually feel that sloppy usage, especially in a definition, is acceptable. I find it difficult to believe that is so.

No. For the reasons Dave has pointed out.

Also' date=' it seems rather petty to express exasperation at the application of semantics in relation to a definition. In other circumstances I might have let it pass. Do you actually feel that sloppy usage, especially in a definition, is acceptable. I find it difficult to believe that is so.[/quote']

when it adequately conveys the meaning, absolutely. i dont care if it looks like a monkey pounded out your message as long as i can read it without too much trouble. by the same token i dont care if we are technically declared "at war" with the terrorists.

Right. I'll keep that in mind when reading your posts in future.

For the record sloppy definitions are never acceptable in my book. If you ever catch me making or supporting one please let fly with both barrels. Sloppy definitions and science are simply incompatible. (I know this is the politics section, but it's still part of Science Forums.)