Becoming a scientist.

CaiGengyang

I am 33 and so I have started to read again the book "Reading The Mind Of God" ... It is inspiring me to become a scientist. I love to think about and work out the mysteries of the Universe. This book is about the principle of Universality and the quest to search for it. I previously studied engineering and lost interest, dropping out of college a few times. After that, I wasted another 6 years or so of my life at home, suffering from severe depression and not doing much. (unable to find inspiration and motivation). Now my dream is to be able to return, complete my degree and then do a PHD and become a full time researcher and scientist like Richard Dawkins , Neil Degrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku. I am starting this thread to connect with others in similar situations.

5 hours ago, CaiGengyang said:

I am 33 and so I have started to read again the book "Reading The Mind Of God" ... It is inspiring me to become a scientist. I love to think about and work out the mysteries of the Universe. This book is about the principle of Universality and the quest to search for it. I previously studied engineering and lost interest, dropping out of college a few times. After that, I wasted another 6 years or so of my life at home, suffering from severe depression and not doing much. (unable to find inspiration and motivation). Now my dream is to be able to return, complete my degree and then do a PHD and become a full time researcher and scientist like Richard Dawkins , Neil Degrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku. I am starting this thread to connect with others in similar situations.

The best thing about that book is that it inspired you to go back to your studies. Now you should put it back on the shelf because it's a popular view of physics (and not a very good one at that, from the professional reviews) that is pogo-jumping around a bunch of concepts you need to understand in a more formal setting. Science knowledge is a layered process, and you often need a good base in one area before you can really grasp another.

Congratulations on going back for your degree, and on finding inspiration in science. Trust me, learning it the right way will keep you from spending any more time spinning your wheels. Welcome to the forum.