mass ratios of an alkali metal with cholrine

JoeMK

Ok, we got this other question

Use the following information to design the experiment and so complete the questions applicable to it

a. u are given a substance that you know is a soluble chloride (to be refered to as X.Cl.)

b. X is a group 1 cation

Perform a first hand investigation to measure and identify the mass ratios of metal to non metals in a compund and calculate the empirical formula

Anyone got an idea to a procedure? ... i hope i ain't asking to much, thanks :D

well if it`s a chloride of a group 1 metal then the ratio will be 1:1

you know that chlorine has a mass of 35.5 per mole, a little simple maths using the volume and weight of the mystery sample will give a remainder, if it`s 7 it`s Li, 11 it`s Na, 19 it`s K, 37 it`s Rb and so on down the list.

failing that do a flame test and identify the color (but that`s cheating) :)

I think he`s eluding to the fact that silver nitrate will create a near isoluble precipitate of silver chloride when in contact with.

it`s commonly used as a detection method for Chlorine ions as the white precipitate is quite unmistakable, how he`s going to apply it to your question I`m waiting to learn also. since the Chloride part wasn`t a mystery and was stated quite clearly as containing X.Cl.

maybe he`s thinking about weighing the silver chloride and then subtracting that from the remaining X.Nitrate?