DPI settings on multi monitor systems can't be set to individual monitors.

Edward

DPI settings on multi monitor systems can't be set to individual monitors. When I go to:

Desktop

Right Click

Properties

Settings

Monitor 1 or Monitor 2

Advanced

Change DPI setting

OK

Apply

Yes

Close

Yes

The computer will restart and the setting will have been applied to both monitors. Is there a way to apply the settings to one monitor?

Not that I know of. Once you spit out analog video I believe you're basically stuck in NTSC-land. It is, for all intents and purposes, standard definition television -- 480 lines of interlaced video. The computer no longer sees it as a computer monitor, per se. The best you can do is adapt the incoming video within the monitor's built-in software, if it has any (a lot of projectors have features in this area).

If you have a monitor with DVI or HDMI input (e.g. an HDTV), it's a different story. But you posted you were using s-video going to composite with an adapter, so I'm assuming this is not an option.

By the way, with LCD displays, resolution *is* your problem, not "DPI". You can never change the actual dots-per-inch of an LCD device. They are whatever they are. Manufacturers and driver-writers really confuse the issue by talking about "DPI" but what they really mean is resolution. Resolution can be less than a device's DPI by grouping pixels to act together as if they were a single pixel, giving you the appearance of a lower resolution than the display actually has. But resolution can never exceed the highest DPI setting of the display device.

(It's a little different with CRTs, because there are no fixed pixels per se, so DPI does actually change. But it still can't exceed a maximum value for the device. So even with CRTs "resolution" is determined by the computer, and "DPI" is determined by the device.)

Ok everything I have said after my first post is irrevelant It does not make a difference what setup I have. If I change the DPI settingsd for one monitor it is applied to both monitors.

Ok everything I have said after my first post is irrevelant It does not make a difference what setup I have. If I change the DPI settingsd for one monitor it is applied to both monitors.

so... havent worked with computers much? or just havent learned anything from it?

any number of things can affect stuff like this. that is, assuming its not intended. it could be a compatability issue, it could be a driver issue, it could be you cant do different DPIs with one GFX card (yes, i know it can do different resolutions, which is a different setting, therefore different limitations), it could be windows isnt designed to do dual monitors very well and they didnt take that into account.

with all the different things that could be causing the problem, knowing how you set it up is crucial.

I have tested various setups all with the same results two pci video cards hooked up to two vgs crt moniters and one computer appear to be incapeable of having different DPI settings as with any other dual monitor setup. I want to know if there is a way to make it so I can have different DPI settings on a dual monitor system or set something up with similar results.

have you tried any third party software, like ultramon? im using that, i dont know if it allows different dpis, because i just dont care, but it does allow a bunch of other stuff like different backgrounds on each one, different screensavers, etc. DPI might be one of the things it lets you change sepperately, im not sure.