transfering FF from one PC to another.

Dak

can it be done? i have loads of extentions, custom settings and book marks, and dont really fancy downloading FF, installing FF, pissing about with the settings, downloading all my extentions, setting all the options on all the extentions, exporting and inporting my bookmark list etc...

is there a way in which i can just copy my FF -- extentions, settings and reg entrys inall -- across to another computer?

thats my guess too... since "installing" firefox means telling firefox to copy a folder to your "program files" id say it shouldnt be much trouble at all. just copy over the folder where its installed, plus all that crap ecoli mentioned.

yup, i firefox it is.

and im more confused about how to copy across the reg entries for the extentions.

does anyone know if its just a case of copying across HKCU/software/mozila, or would i need to copy HKCU/software/netscape aswell? (and obviously all of the files/folders used by firefox and its extentions)?

If no-one knows, then ill embark on some experimentation! (daks parents' compupter's registry shudders in terror)

[edit]Ooooooooooh, a new sub-forum!

dave must have felt that all the n00by questions like these were cluttering up his forum :D

just for future reference, what goes in the main computer forum, and what goes in computer help?[/edit]

If you need help with computer problems, post it here. If it's more computer science oriented, then it goes in the other forum.

As for Firefox, all the profile data is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\youruser\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox - you can do a fresh install of the binary, and still keep all your user data by copying that folder over.

Although if the program or any of the plugins require specific registries which only appear when the program/plugin is officially installed, it may be a problem... try it out and see what happens.

i think that all of the extentions which add extra context menu items rely on reg entrys (and unfortunately, lots of my extentions do use extra context menu items).

but yeah, if no1 knows for certain, ill do a bit of an try-it-and-see.

As far as I'm aware (and I've not had zip experience with the Firefox api), extensions will have their preferences saved in various flat files. Plugins may or may not do different things, but I'd guess that things like Flash might use the registry. I'd assume that for the purposes of a simple move, that's not going to be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

couldnt do it... i found a few reg entries and copied them across, along with the appropriate files, but couldnt get it to work.

Oh well, manually d/l and install the extentions and then manually set the settings i suppose...

this'll take ages :-(

8) Download and install extensions and if you have an existing set of bookmarks on another Firefox install, copy it into this directory from USER/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/profilename/bookmarks.html

you still have to re-download all the extentions :-( thats what i want to avoid having to do, as i have many, and most of them have non-default settings...

Nahh, tried that.

doesnt work. after lots of faffing about, i finally made the list of my extentions appear in the tools > extentions list... but none of them worked.

stoopid computers :confused:

umm... might it have something to do with the CLSID bit of the registry? just a guess (im not really sure what the CLSID does)