removing ink stains

ecoli

use a dilute soln of sulphuric acid for the stain, it`ll not damage the coating of the wood, but should be enough to turn the iron salt particles into ferric sulphate (clear crystaline salt at those quantities), and then just plenty of water and a bicarb rinse :)

if it doesn`t work you`ve still damaged nothing :)

I recently had a pen explosion take place in my house. does anybody know a way that I can get the stain out of my wooden floor? What is the chemical formula for ink? What can get it out? Alcohol, maybe? I've tried various detergents with little success.

Inks have many compositions and you did not tell us if it was a fountain pen ink or a ball-point ink in a tube.

Then there is the Japanese black ink. So which type of ink are you talking about?

In general, Dilute Sodium Hypochlorite solution (About 5% molar, very roughly) would not harm your wood finish while discolouring the ink; use a wet pad and apply softly several times.

The final magic is by applying a saturated aquatic solution of oxalic acid (some use citric), by a wet pad as well.

Wash your hands very well and avoid eye contact, as usual, with any chemicals.

Your wood finish could be "Arbright", or "Duracil", or nitrocellulose based and such mild treatments should not affect your wood finish.