EU Piracy Report

tuco

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, have considered "Politics" , though I think "Ethics" is alright.

---

EU Piracy Report Suppression Raises Questions Over Transparency

One of the most important aspects of online piracy is whether it affects sales. So, when the EU Commission spends 360,000 euros on a study to find out, one might think it would be useful to publish the results. Instead, Member of the European Parliament Julia Reda had to jump through hoops to obtain them. Why all the secrecy?

[snip]

https://torrentfreak.com/eu-piracy-report-suppression-raises-questions-transparency-170922/

----

Report: Estimating displacement rates of copyrighted content in the EU - https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

----

Rhetorical question: Can studies like this one influence how legal system views copyright infringement? Can it be used to counter arguments of "lost sales" to enumerate damages and severity of punishment?

Edited by tuco

Can it be used to counter arguments of "lost sales" to enumerate damages and severity of punishment?

I want to watch the new (Sword Art Online movie Ordinal Scale/Lucifer/Supernatural) legally here how do I do that when they don't sell to my country? The national tv broadcaster never has anything I want to watch on and the paid services are nothing but repeats. Netflix is just as bad because it has country restrictions like everything else. Why should I wait years to watch something behind everybody else knowing everything that happened in it because it is all over social media. Tv and Movies should be available on an affordable subscription basis who can afford paying $120 for their family to go to the blooming cinema?