Cross Fertilisation of Methodologies

Area54

This paper caught my eye. I've highlighted the point I found intriguing.

"Fungi belong to one of the largest and most diverse groups of living organisms. The evolutionary kinship within a fungal population has so far been inferred mostly from the gene-information–based trees (“gene trees”) constructed using a small number of genes. Since each gene evolves under different evolutionary pressure and time scale, it has been known that one gene tree for a population may differ from other gene trees for the same population, depending on the selection of the genes. We present whole-genome information-based trees (“genome trees”) using a variation of a computational algorithm developed to find plagiarism in two books, where we represent a whole-genomic information of an organism as a book of words without spaces."

I am sure there are many examples where methodology from one sphere is applied in another. Any thoughts?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.