hypernovas

Grant

It's always amazing to observe the night sky. Seems like we're always discovering some new process in our universe (although thank god its happening a couple million/billion light years away). Probably one of the reasons many of us take up astronomy as a hobby =D

Hi

I may be wrong on this but isnt a black hole the remenants of a supenova or a dying star, sorry if i am wrong. Im sorry but i dont know even if you can get a black hole from a hypernova but maybe one of the more experienced members of the board could help.

Anybody know if the black holes at the center of every galaxy would

qualify as a hypernova?

I have heard they are immense.

No. A black hole can be formed after a supernova has occured, but otherwise that is the only way they are linked.

Hi

I may be wrong on this but isnt a black hole the remenants of a supenova or a dying star' date=' sorry if i am wrong. Im sorry but i dont know even if you can get a black hole from a hypernova but maybe one of the more experienced members of the board could help.[/quote']

Basically, a block hole will form if the dying star is massive enough. Upon supernova, if the gravity will eventually overcome the kinetic energy of the explosion, the particles will re-collapse due to the sum of the gravity.

I don't remember exactly what happens.

If you do not quite have the mass, you can form a neutron star.

If you have enough mass, you will form a black hole. What makes the difference is that the gravity in the case of block hole is so strong, it will overcome the structure of the neutron and collapse further in a quantum singularity. The gravity is so strong the escape velocity of the object is larger than the speed of light, therefore, nothing can escape and no information can get out of the block hole.