whats a kinase signaling system?

and what do they have to do with genes? are they gene activators? because i came upon an article that had a format similar to this. or could you just decode the meaning of this table. are the things listed (such as Tor2, mTor etc..) genes or kinases? thanks!!!!

Table 1. Genes required for the autophagy and Cvt pathways

Gene Mammalian homolog Characteristics

Induction of autophagy and formation of autophagosome

Kinase signaling system

Tor2 mTor Rapamycin-sensitive protein kinase

APG1 ULK1 SER or THR protein kinase

APG6 BECN1 63-kD peripheral membrane protein

etc..

or, if you would like to see the article for yourself, it is:

Klionsky D, Emr S, Autophagy as a Regulated Pathway of Cellular Degradation

Science, Dec 1, 2000 v290 15497, p1717

A kinase is a kind of enzyme that adds a phosphate group to another molecule, called phosphorylation. They are involved in many things, one of those things is transducing signals. Often phosphorylation is needed to activate another enzyme, so that for it to bind to DNA, to activate a gene, it first needs to be phosphorylated. Kinases also often need to by phosphylated to become active. So you can have system where an initial phosphylation will lead to a series of phosphorylations ending in gene activation.

The Tor2 etc, are the names of various proteins. Usually gene names are italisesed or underlined.

ok then. if i wanted to detect the activation of for example the Tor2 kinase by some kind of gas (eg./ H2O2) or a cytokine (eg./ IL-4) in yeast cells then what kind of protocol/assay method would I need to use to find out?