SFN Classroom...

Dak

What do you guys recon to the idea of opening up a classroom here at SFN, in order to actually teach science? We've definately got enough collective knowledge.

I was thinking if we make a new forum called 'classroom' or whatever, and all chip in and wright a few tutorials on basic areas of science, make a few threads linking to descent web based tutorials/other threads on this site, wright a few basic exams and learning exersizes and agree a few basic stock sylabuses etc.

if someone wanted to learn a science, they could sighn-up and get in contact with one of us and explain which area of science they would like to learn, and we could hack and taylore a stock sylabus to fit them.

They could then be directed to which tutorial-threads and web-sites to visit to adsorb the knowledge therein. if they have any probs, they could post within the forums here (or maybe if its a really simple question, within the classroom forum to prevent the main fora getting cluttered up with re-posts).

when they feel ready, they could ask for an exam/learning exersize to be assighned to them, and we could chose one which suits theire level of knowledge and ask them to post their answres in the classroom, and one of us could 'mark' it and offer sujjestions as to which areas they need to work on.

It would obviously involve mainly self-study on behalf of the person who is learning, but it could be guided by any of us who wish to volenteer to help.

It could bring lots of new people to this site, and maybe even bring some donations ("whilst the tutalage that you recieve on this site is free, any donations to help pay for band-width to keep this site online would be more than welcome").

It obviously wouldnt actually carry any qualifications, but even if we start off small i reacon we could educate anyone whos interested to atleast GCSE level, and getting accredited wouldnt bee too hard for them once they actually know the material.

Whatcha recon? feasable, or too ambitiouse? worth-it or pointless? and who would be willing to volunteer to help out guiding the students learning (and in what area)?

Would you then have a seperate thread for each lesson? If so that could be a lot of threads with only really 1 post (the lesson) and then I suppose questions after.

The only drawback I see is that wouldn't it be better to have people request the class first?

And then there's the fact that the real clever people, like the Resident Expert people, generally do not have time to write long length lessons...

I mean, it's obvious to see why it will work / be good... I'm just pointing out the other side!

I wasnt really thinking 'lessons' as such, more stickied overviews of specific topics: eg, there could be a 'protons, nutrons and eletrons -- the structure of atoms' thread and a 'valency shells and covalent bonds' thread, each with one post that explains that topic, and maybe some links at the end.

then, after the initial effort of wrighting them, a tutee would just need to be pointed at the threads and told to read up about them, and follow the links for a further explanation. any questions about areas that the tutee isnt understanding could be answred, but other than that, the only majour effort would be in marking the tests to see what areas they need to improve, but the tests could be constructed with ease-of-marking in mind (multiple-choice-questions for example). the tutee could then go to a stickied thread which links to several online-learning tools and pick the ones that cover the area that they need to improve (or something similar -- basically, most the work would be done by the student, and the work that would be done by us would be economicisised)

And then there's the fact that the real clever people, like the Resident Expert people, generally do not have time to write long length lessons...
we could all chip in, and peer review each others tutorials.

i could (with a bit of revision) do genetics, you could pull of phisics and computers; remember were only talking basic (GCSE level) to start with, i'd imajine.

The only drawback I see is that wouldn't it be better to have people request the class first?
what do you mean?

the Whole Forum is a "classroom" and for those that wish something a little more personal there`s PM, and for those that prefer "interactive" we have an IRC Chatroom too.

Problem Solved!

*sigh*

We could end up with several lessons which don't serve a purpose... if someone asked for a lesson on subject x then whoever was writing the subject would be doing it for someone, as opposed to just to make the thread. It gives it more of an immediated purpose.

And you spelt physics wrong you little... ;)

Ye, peer review each other would be good... I'm sure we could get a bit above GCSE, but yeah, we're not running a "get your own PhD right here" course!

at least i didnt spell it with an ' f ' (this time)

and YT: yeah, i know. and i personaly have learnt alot here. but it kinda requires at least some knowledge of the subject before asking questions. I know enough chemistry to be able to wander into the chemistry forum and ask a question, and understand the answre as long as it isnt too complicated. but i dont think i could wander in the chem forum and go "hey guys, teach me chemistry. from scratch".

We could end up with several lessons which don't serve a purpose... if someone asked for a lesson on subject x then whoever was writing the subject would be doing it for someone, as opposed to just to make the thread.
I guess so, but then thatd be a heck of a lot of work imediately after accepting the first student. I was thinking of getting the basic ones set up b4 we open the class room, then adding to it as demand dictates, or as people feel the desire to add to it.