Can a particle have 0 energy?

gib65

A free particle cannot have 0 energy. E2 = m2c4+p2c2, where E is energy, p is (three-)momentum and m is mass. To have E=0, you would have to have m=0. But a massless particle such as a photon have E=hf where f is the frequency of the wave, so E=0 implies a wave with zero frequency, which is unphysical (actually it can be subtracted off).

A free particle cannot have 0 energy. E2 = m2c4+p2c2' date=' where E is energy, p is (three-)momentum and m is mass.

[/quote']

But that relation has the potential V set equal to zero by hand, does it not? The same dynamics of a free particle follow from V=(constant). So if I replace E with E+V, V=constant, and put it into the relation above I obtain:

E2+2EV+V2=m2c4+p2c2

E2=m2c4+p2c2-2EV-V2

If I set E=0 then I have:

V2-(m2c4+p2c2)=0,

which has 2 real solutions for V.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude,

Particles have mass. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy are interchangable aspects. Hence, there is no such thing as a 0 energy particle.

P.S.: Sorry, I didn't read all the other posts, they say just what I said!!!

Can I re-ask these two questions from post #27:

OK, so free particles cannot have e=0 but we can always add a potential energy allowing e=0

So is ZPE always zero because you can always apply a potential?

• 4 weeks later...
Can I re-ask these two questions from post #27:

OK' date=' so free particles cannot have e=0 but we can always add a potential energy allowing e=0 [/quote']Yes, though this would make little "sense" and really, serve no purpose. And it would be quite confusing - non-interacting particles would have negative potential energy (put in by hand).

So is ZPE always zero because you can always apply a potential?
See above.