Co-orbital Moons

This link below explains the structure of Saturns rings which claims that the origin is still a mystery. Some claim they were captured debris from the birth of our solar system.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005/may/HQ_05130_Cassini.html

The link below shows "co-orbital" moons. Moons that are in aproximately the same orbit, yet do not collide with each other. They tend to do a "dance" by speed swapping and orbit changing. This was really interesting, and I understand the action, but it made me think of something else. (below)

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Epimetheus-%28moon%29

Is it possible the rings of some ringed planets could have come from co-orbital moons that collided and underwent repeated collisions of the debris into smaller and smaller parts? Moons who danced slightly too close to each other and thus were no more?

Bettina

It doesnt sound like it could happen, unless there was another force acting upon them?

Because, from the short paragraph, the moons pretty much switch spaces. One slows down, one speeds up, and they are now in different orbits. So it sounds like no matter how big/fast, they will always switch.

Then again, it is possible, maybe if the moons got close to another planet/star/moon?

I dont know, but thanks for the read :)

edit: and if they did collide, wouldnt one moon get thrown into a different orbit, or totally out of one?

It doesnt sound like it could happen' date=' unless there was another force acting upon them?

Because, from the short paragraph, the moons pretty much switch spaces. One slows down, one speeds up, and they are now in different orbits. So it sounds like no matter how big/fast, they will always switch.

Then again, it is possible, maybe if the moons got close to another planet/star/moon?

I dont know, but thanks for the read :)

edit: and if they did collide, wouldnt one moon get thrown into a different orbit, or totally out of one?[/quote']

I don't know about one getting thrown into a different orbit, I was thinking if Saturn, for example, had many more moons....hundreds of them. Then, because of celestial imbalances, a "weeding out" occured. I would give anything to be on one of those moons to see the other go by. :)

I'm trying to find more...

Bettina